COMBAT MISSIONS: Armour Tactics - Lynx

The Armour Tactics Series on MISSIONS now turns to the Pz IIL - Lynx. You know what to do! biggrin.gif

The Cromwell tactics page is now ready - thanks to those who contributed.

Remember, you can always add to whats been collected already by going to the "ARMOUR" page and submitting (via e-mail) your thoughts, tactics & experiences on any of the AFV's featured so far.

Thanks Again!

------------------

Manx - COMBAT MISSIONS

Resources for Big Time Softwares "COMBAT MISSION"

The Lynx is one of those tanks which require proficiency and skill to use.

Due to its extremely weak cannon and light armor, dont expect the Lynx to win any sort of AT confrontation unless it is on another soft-skinned AFV and preferably from an ambush or a weak side. Hell, a .50 caliber HMG from a halftrack can easily take it out! Ive found that the Lynx can be used in a pack or alone, but must always have some form of infantry/armor support.

The Lynx is best used as a mobile flak gun, in an AP role. Thanks to its quick rate of fire, I have seen the Lynx, in conjunction with infantry, easily suppress and rout the enemy. AT weapons such as bazookas will have an especially difficult time of hiting the Lynx, because it is so small and can move about pretty quickly.

Keep the Lynx behind your infantry and don't expose it much. It cannot survive a hit from any sort of weapon, even a rifle grenade. Also, keep it moving, use hit and run tactics. The Lynx will be able, if used correctly, in a short ammount of time to do its duty of suppressing/routing a squad or even a whole platoon and getting out of there, pronto.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 03-17-2001).]

The Lynx seems to have more haters than fans and I can see the merits on why it can be hated since it only has a 20mm gun with relatively thin armor. For me though, it still has its uses. For one is reconaissance with its speed and small silhouette. If enemy armor, even the Stuarts, are found back it off unless you have a flank or rear shot. Also, the 20mm gun is quite well suited to taking out those annoying American Half-tracks and the UK M5 halftracks. Hell, any thing equivalent or lighter to half-tracks are fair game to the Lynx. Why? The ROF of the 20mm gun is quite fast and I've almost always gotten off the all-important first shot with the Lynx engaging these light vehicles. A miss is no problem since the follow through shots are quick. Infantry can be problematic. Alone a Lynx can't take down infantry squads but the 20mm can greatly suppress infantry, esp. 'zooks. Pin them down with 20mm fire and send your infantry to mop up the pinned units. Plus it holds lots of ammo.

Just be careful with this cardboard cat. Thin armor and a small gun are great liabilities. Tanks pose a dire threat also. In general, the Pumas fill the role better but I'll go with a Lynx every now and then to bring flavor to my units.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

The Lynx is best used as a fast, light recon vehicle by the Germans. It is quite useful for taking out the Allied Halftracks/Armored Cars (excepting the Daimler and M8, those are significantly more difficult).

Additionally, it can be used to KO Allied TDs. I found this out quite painfully. However, go up with one against a Stuart or heavier, and forget about it, unless you get a very lucky flank shot.

Against open infantry, it can do some damage, but don't be looking for it to dislodge opponents from buildings anytime soon.

I like the PzIIL quite a bit, its 20mm gun has a fast ROF and is very accurate, just the cure for all Allied light armour. Lots of MG ammo helps with infantry support. Compared to the 234/1 AC, it is a little cheaper, has a slightly faster turret and better side/rear armour; its ammo loadout and front armour are slightly inferior; their off-road speeds are about the same, though the 234/1 wins hands down on a road. The major drawback to ever purchasing one in a QB is being in the 'Armor' category instead of the 'Vehicles'.

Something I forgot to add. If you REALLY need support for some reason against Allied armor go ahead and find a hull down position and harass the living hell out of the tank with the 20mm. Why? Suicidal you say? Again, with the high ROF I've actually defanged heavier armor by getting "Gun Hits." Naturally, luck is heavily involved but the Lynx's ROF is a good benefit. If only a 37mm was mounted. Guess that's what the Ostwind is for...

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

The Luchs has a huge advantage at longer ranges than most armored vehicles. Its extra ROF in a sense makes it better suited for long range combat. When I employ the luchs its usually as recon support used to give scout infantry fast suppressive firepower. With its ability to also knock out light vehicles it generally does well in that role. Its good for providing covering fire for the scouts to either advance or fallback depending on the engagement.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

The Lynx, or Lynx Lynx Lynx as it should realy be called, is not made to be a tank. In my mind I see the Lynx as more of an anti infantry halftrack. Just with a *little more* armour. The Lynx's 20mm couldn't dammage a sherman, but it can shred small teams and squads.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Graphics HQ:

www.homestead.com/lodrgeneralmb/graphics.html

Guest wwb_99

Well, a Lynx is good for what it was designed for, which was armored recon. Get in, take a peek, get out. Do not try to duke it out with those things, that is just asking for Lynx-a-ques.

They are a better option than PSWs on rural maps because of superior off road mobility. And that 20mm is the ultimate anti-HT weapon., and is damn effective against anything short of a stuart.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

I think that the Pz IIL suits better for armored scout missions in CM than the 231/1 Armored Car, since it has the better side armour and makes it less vulnerable to the .50cal MG ( the doom of any German ACs ).

As the Allies smallest main gun has 37mm which penetrates the armour of both German vehicles, the added slope of the AC is good for nothing ( well, in game terms ).

The reason why I still choose the AC and not the Luchs ( MB, this is the German name for this anchovy can and in return we don't call the M18 Höllenpussy wink.gif ) is that you have to buy him from the armour category and those points could be spend on more useful AFVs.

------------------

Turret down

Hull down

Track down

Pants down