Firing At Tanks From Different Elevations

I looked through the book but didn't find anything on whether or not the game takes into account tanks or guns shooting at other tanks from higher or lower elevations.

It seems to me, if one tank was firing at another tank on a hill, the round would have a greater chance of deflecting since it would hit the armor most likely on a upward angle. In turn, this angle would be added to the armor slope to produce a value on whether or not the round penetrates or not.

Therefore, it would make it very advantageous to get one's tanks on top of hills to gain this added bonus.

Of course, shooting down upon an opponent would also produce an angled shot but it doesn't seem that it would deflect the shot away, but probably eliminate most of the armor slope since it's taking an opposite path.

Anyway, was wondering if firing at different elevations like these are modeled in CM and if so, what are the effects?

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

So far has I know the game takes all this into account...

Firing from above can eliminate/diminish the slope effect (or even give slope effect to armors without slope). Also I think there is an higher chance to hit the enemy when shooting from above (bigger target). For the tank shooting from the bottom there is ,too ,a eliminate/diminish the slope effect and the hull of the tank on the top of the hill can be exposed.

BUMP. I think this is a topic well worth an answer to and BTS is the one who needs to give it since they programmed the game.

So how about it guys? Is this modeled in the game, and if so, what factors are taken into account?

------------------

How many times do I have to bump this before I get an answer? I have tanks waiting on ascending a hill based on the question I am asking. Please respond BTS. They refuse to advance to the top until they know they have the advantage.

------------------

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

How many times do I have to bump this before I get an answer?

Oh-oh, that counts as two questions, back to the beginning of the line.

I have tanks waiting on ascending a hill based on the question I am asking. Please respond BTS. They refuse to advance to the top until they know they have the advantage.

Thanks Jeff, I didn't bother to look at these old posts because I didn't think they'd have the info I need but apparently they did. Here are some quotes by BTS from that thread...

...The simple fact is that a tank tipped at x degrees and tilted y to the shooter makes a HUGE difference.

...in CM height AND angle are taken into account automatically. If you are 10 meters in front of a 2 story building, and someone is on the top floor shooting down at you, this is extra bad for the unit's state (mostly morale, but also pinning and such).

...Another example of why this 3D is important to troops. A unit behind a wall is protected only to the degree that the height of the wall, friendly distance from the wall, enemy distance from the wall, and enemy's shooting angle say it is. If the shooter is down hill, then the unit behind the wall is in an ideal spot. If the shooter is above, then perhaps being behind the wall offers NO protection. This is in addition to the age old problem of "which side of the wall is the unit on" in hex based wargames. In CM there is no confusion. You are behind it or you aren't depending on where your unit is in relation to the enemy's. No ambiguity.

------------------

Yeah, I would think that a tank on top of a hill would have a somewhat significant advantage over a tank which was 500m away and 20-30m below it.

What I'd like to know and what I haven't found in any searches yet is what are these general value changes? For instance, how is the armor slope treated on the tank below when struck by a round from a tank 20m above him at medium range?

It would seem to me that the armor slope of the tank down below would have significant changes to it as the degree of trajectory from the round has completely changed.

Could BTS please comment on this? What if I promise that Maximus won't make any smart aleck comments for an entire week? Would that do the trick? biggrin.gif

Seriously, I'd really love to hear from BTS on this but others are encouraged to chime in too if they have a good understanding of math and physics and stuff like that...

------------------