x

I sounds like a software problem rather than a hardware problem. Here are my suggestions:

Look at your motherboard drivers. I had similar frustration with Thief2 before I learned that my Via motherboard was shipped with drivers that couldn't properly deal with a video card in the AGP slot.

Look at your DirectX. There's a new version out. Give it a try.

It sounds like you're running CM in software mode, not getting any use out of your video card. Make sure that CM is recognizing your video card, and that CM is set to run under the primary display adapter. I don't have a copy of CM in front of me to look at, but could someone find that configuration menu and post exactly how the options read? I had that trouble with Shogun - I was running in software mode because the video configuration menu was ambiguous.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that this will help Scipio, but I run my AGP aperature at 256, which is the size of my installed RAM. Reason is, from what I've read, there are some who believe that it is beneficial to do so, "if" the system can handle it, it is just that most systems work best at half the RAM size. Mine seems to run it fine at that range, and I don't notate a differential when I set it to 128. I could be wrong ofcourse, something of a rare thing mind you, hehe.

Scipio, yes definately get the latest DirectX version, (8.0), I believe. But something is definately wrong. Folks are right, you have enough horse power there to more than drive CM. All else failing, then there has to be a fault somewhere in the driver installation.

Questions: Did you do an uninstall all of the previous drivers, utilities, etc, and run a clean install of the news ones?

Checked all IRQ settings (make sure your card has its own IRQ allocation, usually 11), and most times allocated by a bios setting. Along that line, is the graphic card IRQ being shared by any other device?

If so, it needs its own. But first see if so.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-18-2001).]

Bad news:

I have a system very similar (Abit KT7, Athlon 750@1.2, GeForce2, etc) and my CM is smooth as a whistle at 1600x1200. Not a jitter to be seen.

As far as temps go, 70C is VERY high. My chip is agressively overclocked and never gets above 50C. I know that AMD says that 90C is the limit, but I would definitely be concerned about anything above 55 in an OC system, and above 45 in a non-OC system. But I doubt that is the problem anyway.

I would suggest you post this issue to the ASUS usenet group, and see if anyone there can help.

There is definitely something wrong, and it is definitely fixable. What the fix is, I am not sure. But for the bucks you shelled out for that sweet system, I wouldn't give up.

Jeff Heidman

Guest Madmatt

I am running a P3-900 with a Geforce II 64mb GTS and with FSAA set at max I see no stuttering to any degree that Scipio is seeing. Keep in mind that my install of CM has just about every mod ever released running on it too.

It sounds like you have tried all the normal fixes (did you defrag by chance?) so the only thing left to try is some system wide performance tweaks. Best place to find those would be from a dedictaed 3D webpage like www.voodooextreme.com

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-18-2001).]

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir:

I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression CM used OpenGL, not DirectX.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are indeed wrong. Combat Mission is a Direct 3D game on the PC and a Rave game on the Mac.

Madmatt

Actually, Scipio, OpenGL is not 3dFx. You're thinking of Glide.

Well I was wrong about the first thing, lets see if I can go 0 for 2.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

It appears that data been loaded from HD during the game, what makes the screen logically 'stumbling'. So the question is: why does it seem to happen only on my PC? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This got me thinking. Go into your bios and make sure your L1 and L2 caches are enabled.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

Hey Scipio, try a snort of this. http://www.lauf.de/weissbier/

It may not fix your system, but you'll at least feel better about the whole thing.

wink.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-18-2001).]

Under system properties

Go into performance and try specifiying a max and min on your virtual memory. Try min max of 512 or something. I'm not exactly sure what the best range is, but I think it is multiples of your ram.

And the other old standby is go to file system and set hard drive for use as a network server. Not sure if this speeds up the newer computers.

[This message has been edited by Dittohead (edited 01-18-2001).]