Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Bridges

I've spent the better part of the last month building a scenario that, well, at the risk of blowing my own horn, is shaping up very nicely.

The main objectives on the map are two bridges. During a play testing session the other day, the AI (playing as the Allies) began shelling one of my positions on a bridge that I had just overran. To my surprise, the bridge collapsed!

I uhmm, I didn't think they could do that? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great. It certainly can change one's tactics mid-stream (pardon the pun). But I've poured through the manual (again) and found no mention of bridges either being destructible or repairable. It's obvious to me now that they can be destroyed. But can they be repaired?

It would make sense too that size and composition (wood vs. stone) would affect how difficult it is to destroy a bridge. Is this the case?

I've also included a rail line on my map, and noticed that there seems to be no rail/road crossing tiles. Nor does there seem to be a rail bridge/trestle tile. An oversight on my part or do they not exist? Plans to include them in CM2 perhaps?

And lastly, where would be the best place to post a custom scenario? And what's the general acceptance level towards playing user-generated scenarios? Like I said, I've spent a great deal of time on it. It would be nice to share it.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed and certainly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Winterhawk (edited 03-09-2001).]

Guest Mikey D

I didn't know bridges could be destroyed til I accidentally stumbled across the destroyed bridge bmp art file. Very cool when it happens. They can't be rebuilt because there's simply not enough time to rebuilt a bridge under fire to do it (60 turns equals just an hour in the game).

Sorry to have to rotate this back into the main stream, but I would really appreciate some feedback on:

1) The possible inclusion of rail/road/trestle tiles in CM 2.

2) Are larger, stone bridges more difficult to destroy?

3) Where's a good place to post scenarios?

4) What's the general consensus about user-generated scenarios - do they get played?

And thanks Mikey D for the info on the bridges. It make sense.

I'd be happy to Canuck (especially being a Canuck muhself). But you'll just have to wait a bit. I'm hoping to get the time this weekend to finish it. Everything (map, units, briefings) is done, but I just want to complete a few play testing sessions first.

I warn you though, it's a rather large scrap. The map weighs in at 1200m x 3120m. I must say too that it's not a randomly generated one. Each tile was painstakingly positioned 'just so'. The force size is, shall we say (so as not to give anything away), sufficient enough to take advantage of the real estate their fighting over.

But yes, once it's finished, consider it sent. And thanks for your interest!

Originally posted by Winterhawk:

2) Are larger, stone bridges more difficult to destroy?

Yes, they are. I did a test long time ago and the large stone bridge is almost indesctructible to anything below 155mm arty.

The others could be destroyed with enough patience.

Ariel

Yes I have made a scenario once with the idea to destroy bridges.

Anyone who wants it.just send me a mail.

To direct the artilleryfire towards the bridge you must place a TRP at the road in front of the bridge(it can't be placed on the bridge.)

btw a nice to have item for CM 2 is a bridgelayingvehicle,I saw one from the Germans.

A mkIV with a twopiece folded bridge on it.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'd still like to hear from someone at BTS though about what their thoughts are on the terrain tiles I referred to earlier. It would be nice to see a rail/road crossing, and a rail/trestle crossing over water. Any possibility to include them in CM2?

And for those of you who'd like to be on the

'President's List' and receive an advanced copy of my scenario before I post it for all to see, let me know here with your email addy. My only request is that you reply with your feedback (good, bad or indifferent) once you've had a chance to play it. Your input may very well influence future revisions.

It's my goal with this scenario to create something different. Something that offers the kind of tactical variety and challenge that will keep players coming back to try it again and again. Only your feedback will let me know how well I've succeeded.