allied anti tank weapons ,what is best ?[piat and bazooka]

Originally posted by Simon Fox:

I suggest the whole lot of you do a freekin search,

BTW as pointed out by somebody or other there WAS a thingy to hold it in place.

[This message has been edited by Simon Fox (edited 03-27-2001).]

Are you positive about this? One of the sources I have consulted indicates the PIAT could not be depressed at a steep angle, as the bomb would be pulled out of firing position by gravity.

In First Clash at Cambes I had a PIAT gunner run into a house, sit down, and immediately knock out a Pz IV by firing between two houses as the tank went by at top speed.

Four turns later I used over ten PIAT shots to no avail against another Pz IV. You win some, you lose some.

I prefer to keep my anti-tank infantry together rather than parceling them out in penny packets to rifle platoons. When two or three bazookas are engaging together (ideally from different angles!) they stand a much better chance of getting a quick kill...and a quick kill is the only kind of kill they can get.

Originally posted by LimShady:

When was the PIAT introduced? I noticed they're in DFDR scenarios, was wondering if that was because there is nothing else like it models, or that they were actually there.

LimShady

Summer 1943 - first used in Sicily IIRC. Early models had poor contact fuzes that failed to detonate unless they hit the target squarely. User confidence was not high for a while, even after improved munitions appeared in Italy.

my two cents -- the 'zook. It can keep up with the infantry. I don't know much about how effective a bazooka is vs. a piat because frankly, my piats almost never make it to the front line. On the other hand, a piat can fire in a building with no problem. But I still have to go with the speed factor of the 'zook.

--Chris