Updating the CM2 FAQ

Hey, folks, how about helping out an overworked fella? If any of you are bored and need some work to do (heh heh I sound like an assistant manager of a Taco Bell or something) I would be much obliged by any help I could get.

Combing through these posts and cutting and pasting the pertinent information, so I could add it to the FAQ would be a GREAT help, and I appreciate any help. THanks!

There's so much info in the new threads that Steve responded in that it's probably just best to link to them and let folks read them. Maybe just giving a brief summary of topics that are touched on in those threads and advising folks to read them would be the best idea?

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Surely some of you lead lives so full of boredom that this would actually be considered a "fun" thing to do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, yes. ;)

I don't know what you want to include or exclude. It's a helluva lot of stuff. One problem with quoting so much of the threads is the FAQ will become huge, and people will be less likely to read through it. Also, I didn't sort anything; it's in the order I found it. Probably missed a few things, too.

Anyway, enjoy:

First Sneak Peek of CM2 Pics. Now on CMHQ

Vehicles in:

Elefant (with MG)

PzIVD

StuG III (A or B)

PzIIIJ

SU-76 (or SU-76M)

T-34 (type unknown)

76mm M1927 gun on a ZiS-5 truck (I think)

KV-2

Computer Games Magazine CM2 article

No Winter War (1939-1940 between Finns and Soviets).

No relative spotting.

PBEM format may change.

Different shaped buildings, new terrain (Steppes) and weather (snowy ground, unfrozen rivers). Trenches are placed just like barbed wire is now. Larger maps (current max is 4000m on one side or 2400mx2080m).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Sewers will be abstract "portals" where you enter one and request which one you would like to pop out of. The chance of coming up in the right spot depends on distance and luck. Also, the time to get from A to B will depend heavily on distance. We are also thinking that any defending unit imediately near a sewer opening will get first crack at emerging units to simulate "guarding" the opening.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't think we will be able to model partially colapsed buildings. It is on the list to try, but it might not be possible until the engine rewrite. This also answers the question about "mouseholing" (i.e. going through walls using TNT instead of going outside and back in). We can't do this unless we can have individual states for

individual walls.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We will have dedicated tank hunting teams though, and a wider range of individually manned AT weapons. These units will most likely not have any special ability to kill tanks, but instead should have

better Experience ratings to simulate them either having better training or better frist hand experience KOing enemy vehicles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Engineers will still not be able to destroy roadblocks or bridges, but will be able to toss explosives into building, and maybe take out barbed wire in the same fashion.

A BUNCH of answers to your questions!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In Order of Battle screen that shows what you have is on the drawing board. It is a medium priority item, so it may not actually get put in. However... this will not be nearly as detailed as Steel Panthers

and Close Combat OOB screens.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: AFV Crews: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> ... it is possible that the crew reactions would be based on their experience/moral/physical condition. ... Just think of this new feature just like infantry. You will see vehicles turn tail and run

instead of just seeking better cover.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>radio and non-radio AFVs will be treated differently in terms of Command and Control. Poorly trained/experienced crews will not have the same degree of tactical flexibility as better ones. This also applies to infantry as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RE: Optics <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The only room for improvement from 1.12, that we feel is necessary, is optics. On the Western Front the quality of optics and aiming systems were about equal all things considered. This is not necessarily the case on the Eastern Front. We plan on coming up with a

scientific method for augmenting the current aiming equations with an optics factor. We are NOT just going to make the Germans hit better than the Soviets in all conditions for all vehicles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No preorders this time (too much of a headache with credit cards). <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In regards to the rush to order, our new online system will be able to handle the load. A lot better than taking the preorders ahead of

time and then dealing with all the bum credit card numbers, expiration dates, and other related problems. I didn't sleep for three days for CM1's launch while processing probably 1/5th the number of preorders we

will receive for CM2.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No campaign system. Offers have been made by third parties, but it's too complicated for BTS to get involved and would take up to much

of their time. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Let's just say that we are skeptical that "just an export file" will be enough. So we proceed with caution, but are still looking at the proposals I mentioned seriously.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>There will be three fords; Infantry Only, Infantry and Tracked Vehicles Only, All Units. ... vehicles will be able to cross frozen rivers. We are hoping to have an ice thickness variable for the scenario

that will determine which vehicles, if any, can cross. There will be no vehicles breaking through the ice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No preview for QB maps. Hope to be able to add pre-made maps for QBs.

IS-3 is probably in (2 textures sets have been done for this vehicle for two years, but the 3D model still has to be done, though). The IS-3 is like the Super Pershing: a production vehicle that existed and was

deployed, but never fought. Prototype vehicles (Panther II, Panther F, night vision Panther, E-series) and one-of-a-kind oddities (Maus) will not make it in, however.

One skin will still be used for both sides of a vehicle (still a VRAM issue). 2 different texture sets are done for the SturmTiger.

Re: Mechanical difficulties like engine freeze-ups. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Some of this is definitely beyond the scope of a CM battle. However, winter 1941/42 was too brutal to ignore the things that did happen in the frontline. MGs were especially hard hit on both sides. Not exactly sure what we will do yet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Squads/teams will still be represented by 3/1 guys. There are no benefits, but many drawbacks (poly count, clutter) to increasing the men/squad shown.

No different types of water (streams, etc.) until the engine re-write.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>KwazyDog has already redone the PzIV, Panther, and StuG families so I can say MODs for them will almost certainly have to be updated to work correctly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: LOS changes. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>IIRC we are thinking of having two different height "fields".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finnish troops are in, but no Winter War.

Re: Patching CM1 with CM2 advancements <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Patches, as such, are impossible for us to provide. It would involve many months of work to make CM2 backwards compatible with CM1. Much of that time would be spent

making a scenario translation tool, if it could even be done. What we are going to do in terms of revamping the Western Front is still up in the air. Check out this thread for much more information:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=019399 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Setup zones will remain as-is.

Objective flags may be incorporated into Operations, but nothing solid yet.

A Follow command may or may not be in CM2. Previously Steve and Charles have said No, it's too hard to do. It probably won't be in; in general pathfinding is one of the plagues of game designers which causes endless sleepless nights.

Re: Modeling the early Russian army and "Nationality Traits". <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It is easier than it may seem when you have a good, solid, non-hardcoded system to work with. We are changing the C&C system, have added a

"Fitness" rating so you can have poorly trained physically fit soldiers (that was the norm for Soviet infantry early on), obviously simulating the equipment and organization as realistically as possible, and not assigning any "national bias" characteristics to either side. The latter tend to just cover up inherent game design flaws/shortcomings. ... CM1 has absolutely no "national biases" built into it, and neither will CM2, CM3, CM4, CM5, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We won't likely have a single tiled building of that size [6-8 tiles or more], but instead "building blocks" for people to make their own massive building complexes. There are other plans, but I think this

is the only way to deal with large industrial type buildings. ... We have our wish list, but most likely buildings will remain as "boxes" until the engine rewrite. Different sized and shaped boxes are definitely a go though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: PBEM cheating (Player 1 advantage): <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>the only way to fix this is with an extra fileswap. I don't think we are going to be able to do that for CM2. However, when Rarity is on (either Fixed or Variable) this

problem will be greatly diminished.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Replay of the whole movie file -> Yes, that is on our plate as an "Important" feature. Only thing that will squash this is if we get going on it and find that there is no reasonable way to implement without

rewriting major sections of code. That is, BTW, the best way to do it, so we are already planning on some sort of ugly code hack.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Multiplayer disclosure -> we are going to add a notification that tells Player 2 exactly what was selected by Player 1.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>no post scenario briefing is planned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>we have no plans to remove FLAGS from QBs even as an option.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>full AAR info on kills (i.e. no FoW).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>airpower will remain the same as CM 1 in terms of functionality. In terms of weapons available to planes, that will of course change to reflect what was used in the East. ... I'll suggest to Charles that it

would be good to have two kinds of ground attack aircraft - Fighters and Fighterbombers. But no, we will not have specific types of aircraft for purchasing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yes, we plan on having PLENTY of stock ready. With CM1 the preorders were about 1/5th what we wound up selling in the first two months. I think the current plan is to make about 75% of what CM1 sold in the first batch. And if you guys buy out all of those in two months, I think we might just have a heart attack. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>No plans to make MGs in tanks jam, but we might add this. In any case, from what I gather they jammed far less than field deployed MGs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We have no plans for mine roller tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm not sure if Operation battles can have greater time lengths, but I suppose it wouldn't be hard to add.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>No simulation of females or particular ethnic minorities<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew! You're welcome, and I'm not doing that again. tongue.gif Having fun sorting through it. ;)

- Chris

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]