Tungsten penetration at 60 degrees

In general, as I understand it anyway, tungsten rounds are more easily deflected by great angles of slope. Me thinks it has something to do with the comparative size of the penetrator. Someone will have to chime in with more technical stuff, but I think it largely just boils down to tungsten rounds being more susceptible to bouncing from the high degree of slope.

'Course I could be totally wrong and everything I said is some figment of my muddled memory/imagination.

Originally posted by jgdpzr:

In general, as I understand it anyway, tungsten rounds are more easily deflected by great angles of slope.....

'Course I could be totally wrong and everything I said is some figment of my muddled memory/imagination.

sounds logical. So I wonder what the cause is. Is it that the rounds were sloped differently or that tungsten itself is a smoother metal causing them not to "stick".

Or maybe the allies liked to coat the rounds with grease for some odd reason smile.gif

Anyone know the reason?

Slope effect is how effectively armor can bend, break, crack or otherwise reduce energy round transfers to armor.

Tungsten is brittle and slope can do more bad things to it, and more effectively, than APCBC. Tungsten will have 3.5 to 4.4 slope effect multiplier at 60 degrees, APCBC may have 2.7 or so. CM slope multiplier for APDS is alot higher than British figure of 3.54 at 60 degrees, and U.S. tests indicate about 4.4 for HVAP at 60 degrees. It might be interesting to see where 5.00 slope multiplier for 60 degree APDS hits come from.

76mm HVAP slope effect is greater than APCBC, but HVAP slightly outpenetrates APCBC against 55 degree armor at 800 yards, 2.26" versus 2.12".

At 200 yards, 76mm HVAP outpenetrates APCBC against 55 degree armor by 2.72" versus 2.35". At close range with a quality reduction in Panther glacis armor, 76mm HVAP might occasionally penetrate on an odd hit (which it did at Isigny) while 76mm APCBC could bounce forever.

Tungsten slope effect is NOT a function of T/D, based on analysis of penetration data.