Scenarios with Rainbow Division?

I know this might belong better in the scenario site, but I wanted a wide readership, so I'll post it in both places.

My father-in-law fought with the 42nd Infantry Rainbow Division in the European theater. He was a lieutenant in the 222nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Battalion, and served as a S-1 Regimental Adjustant, from when they landed in Marseilles through the armistice. His twin brother, also a lieutenant, was the leader of the Ammunition and Pionner Platoon of the Headquarters Company.

I was wondering if there are any scenarios or operations out there that feature the Rainbow Division, and in particular the 222nd Regiment? I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know. Thanks.

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

I know this might belong better in the scenario site, but I wanted a wide readership, so I'll post it in both places.

My father-in-law fought with the 42nd Infantry Rainbow Division in the European theater. He was a lieutenant in the 222nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Battalion, and served as a S-1 Regimental Adjustant, from when they landed in Marseilles through the armistice. His twin brother, also a lieutenant, was the leader of the Ammunition and Pionner Platoon of the Headquarters Company.

I was wondering if there are any scenarios or operations out there that feature the Rainbow Division, and in particular the 222nd Regiment? I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know. Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The GPO has a great booklet called 42d Division Summary of Operations in the Second World War that gives battles fought with good looks at what units they faced. (They have some other divisions also). I have no idea how to get this book anymore, but you can start with primary and secondary source stuff like this and build your own scenario. French maps can be ordered on the Internet.

(They also have a set of stuff on the division in WW1, also neat to read).

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 01-20-2001).]

Thanks, Slapdragon. I'll try to track down the book, but I'm afraid I don't have the skills or devotion needed to design my own. I'll just have to twist Wild Bill's arm! wink.gif

------------------

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know there is a sleeve mod for it. I think it was tom's.

------------------

No bastard has ever won a war by dying for his country. They won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Tom who? And do you know where to get them?

Problem with sleeve mods is that they don't always match the particular uniform mod that I like. Right now I'm using DDs uniforms, and I'm not sure if his would go with the patch, but I could find out.

Thanks.

------------------

You know, if you do the research for the battle you want covered (can buckeyes do research? if not you can try to farm it out to someone from a real college like Iowa or Michigan smile.gif ) then I will make it for you in my spare time. I just need citations and library locations so I can order the books (I can get the GPO stuff here and a lot of oral history stuff through our library) plus a write up of the battle. I will find the maps and set the game up and give it to you. Like ghost writing!

Well, that's incredibly generous for someone who's obviously not acquainted with the beauty that is Columbus, Ohio! wink.gif

Iowa? Ugh, even flatter than Ohio. Michigan? Who wants to live in a state where the major university has an ugly rodent as its mascot?

Let me see what I can throw together. I don't have lots of print materials at hand, so it may take a while. I may ask my father-in-law for his suggestions.

Here's a naive question: What does GPO stand for?

------------------

Well, that's incredibly generous for someone who's obviously not acquainted with the beauty that is Columbus, Ohio! wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I am doing it because I worked in Columbus for two months and feel sorry for you.

Here's a naive question: What does GPO stand for?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GPO stands for Government Printing Office. The government prints something like 100,000 books all on its own. When some senator wants to read a book about Italy in WW2, the GPO goes back and sees if West Point or a government reseacher has ever written anything on the subject, then prints it as a bound edition. The congressman needs one copy, 150 get printed (shortest print run) and rest get sent to libraries or sold to the public pretty cheap for what they are. So you can find thousands of GPO documents in libraries around the country, and can even buy some yourself. Some are real dry and hard to read, like the one I am reading about logistics support for ground forces in the ETO 1944-1945 with endless tables of lift and lading data and destinations for supplies, statistcal losses, average delivery to divisions in the fields, types of supplies delievered, and logistic infrastructure. Great primary data for research on US forces in WW2. They also reprint translations of Nazi and Soviet WW2 documents, which you can order or buy.

To get them, see if your library has a listing of GPO document by subject. The OSU library is the last locker on the left in the mens junior varsity basket ball team's locker in the lower portion of the locker (the upper portion is the university bookstore). Seriously, just call the OSU book store and see if they have a GPO list, or a repository. Often the documents can be borrowed, especially if you have faculty priviledges.

If you want to pay me for making the scenarios, you can take a tape recorder to your father's house (or I can send one to you) and spend about 20 hours getting an oral history from him about his experience. I will send you a document on how to do it, postage to get the tapes back, and a release form (since it is research and comes under human studies rules.)

You live in Columbia, South Carolina, and you think Columbus is a pit? wink.gif

I'll contact the library and bookstore and see what they can do for me.

I can't easily get an oral history from my father-in-law, because he lives in Minnesota, but I do have about 20 pages of his memoirs pertaining to his war experiences. But they probably don't have the info you'd need.

What would you charge? Hmm, you're from South Carolina, so I probably will have to pay with collards and fried chicken. wink.gif

------------------

You live in Columbia, South Carolina, and you think Columbus is a pit? wink.gif

I'll contact the library and bookstore and see what they can do for me.

I can't easily get an oral history from my father-in-law, because he lives in Minnesota, but I do have about 20 pages of his memoirs pertaining to his war experiences. But they probably don't have the info you'd need.

What would you charge? Hmm, you're from South Carolina, so I probably will have to pay with collards and fried chicken. wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I say Columbia was Green Acres? But Columbus redefines pit EXCEPT, any place in Ohio that is not Youngstown in paradise.

When you are ready to write up the details of the scenario I will turn it into a map and an actual batle.

Youngstown, eh? Well, why do you think OSU stole Jim Tressel away to be the new football coach? wink.gif

So, what's the bottom line? What'd you charge to do it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing Buckeye, but Bill would be better. If he does not have something, I will come up with it.

Thanks, Slappy (isn't that the familiar form? wink.gif )

I've done a fair bit of scenario testing for WB, so he was nice enough to say he'd take me up on the suggestion.

But I appreciate your offer. I'm going to see what I can dig up, and if I find some good stuff, I may still send you material. After all, two scenarios are better than one! smile.gif

------------------