Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Documentation for Building Scenarios?

As a new player of CMAK, I think the game is absolutely fantastic. In playing some of the scenarios -- especially the Longstop scenario in North Africa -- I'm blown away by what can be accomplished using the Scenario Editor that ships with the game. Obviously, the scenarios that ship with the game are labors of love. Is there any documentation out there that (a) explains the steps you should follow in creating a scenario from scratch; and (B) explains the color-coded tile system and how to use it? :confused:

I'll be building a new section to The Proving Grounds geared just for this...some of the best authors around will be posting their tips and how-to's of scenario design. I may even get started on this section tonight - it won't take me long to build - so join up and enjoy everything else that the site currently offers and stay tuned for this new area!

Typhus

Unitl GJK get his site up and running the best advice I could give is play a lot of scenarios by a variety of authors. Note what you like - and don't like in their briefings, maps, force set up, timing etc.

It has been interesting to watch the maturity of the designer improve from the rather green days of CMBO to the maturity of the CMBB scenario and the excellent material coming out for CMAK.

Find a good book on an action you are interested in and try to design a scenario that replicates the historical results.

I also recommend using the proving grounds as a good way to get your scenario 'checked' out.

Good luck and I look forward to stealing some good ideas from your scenarios in the future!

Thanks, guys!

I'm going to spend some serious time with my CMBB game manual, which has a lot of the stuff I was looking for. BTW, I've just finished reading Rick Atkinson's AN ARMY AT DAWN, the 2003 Pulitzer-prize winning history of the Allied Torch campaign and the battle for Tunisia. A great read in its own right, and as a table-setter for CMAK.