Cluster munitions in CMBB

Dunnot about by the Germans, but I believe het Ruskies used bunches of small AT bombs in the Sturmovik (Il-2).

The aircraft carried rockets under its wings, but also had a small internal bomb bay that these weer carried in.

Somce versions of the Yak-9 fighter also carried them if my memory serves me correctly.

Not to mention the 45mm cannon in the Yak 9, the 50 on the Hs129, etc., etc.... :D

I'm certain there's a German aircraft that mounted a 50, but damned if I can remember what it was. Getting old, memory starting to suck.

A guy goes to his Doctor to hear the results of some tests. Doctor says "You have cancer and Alzheimer's". Guy says "Thank God, I don't have cancer!"

Excuse me, excuse me, EXCUSE me!

BOOT!

There. Now that I have booted this subject BACK to my original question, will this be modeled? I believe the Germans had two varieties, the SD-1, filled with 1 kg bomblets, and the SD-2, filled with 2 kg bomblets.

Any one know?

I feel confident in saying that this will not be modelled. BTS abstracts a/c attacks to the point of strafing, bombing, or rockets. Now they may flesh it out a bit for CM2 since we're dealing with 4 years of differing types of aircraft, but really don't think they will take the time to model experimental, incredibly rare weapons.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but really don't think they will take the time to model experimental, incredibly rare weapons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were widely used, AFAIK, the SD-1's and SD-2's were for use against soft targets such as trucks, while the hollow charge SD-4HI were for use against armoured targets.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>At the start of the war, the most common fragmentation bombs were the SD-10 (22 lbs.) and SD-50 (110 lbs.). As the war progressed, it became apparent that there was a need for an area-saturation fragmentation weapon, rather than the earlier models that more or less required an accurate drop. The SD-2 was procured and mass-produced, and at the start of the Russian campaign was in widespread use. Initially, the bomblets were hung individually on aircraft (the Bf-109 and Ju-87, for instance, could carry 96 of them), but time went on, a plywood dispenser container was created and used by many airframes. In the largest size used, these plywood containers could carry up to 248 of the SD-2 bomblets. A low-level profile was needed for accurate drops, which became increasingly difficult due to ground fire. Of more use on the front was the SD-1 bomblet, which at 2.2 lbs offered a larger spread for the same size dispenser. With the design of a popular new dispenser, the AB250, this bomb case could be more accurately dropped in more profiles and would release about 225 SD-1s.

For attacking armor, however, both the SD-1 and 2 were ineffective. After discovering that conventional bombs often were ineffective at scoring hits on moving or dispersed armor, the Germans introduced the 8.8 lb SD-4HI cluster bomblet, which had a hollow charge warhead that could penetrate as much as five inches of armor. As many as 78 SD-4HIs were packed into 1,100 lb containers and were used heavily by Ju-87 Stukas, which had the means to accurately drop them in steep dives.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From

here

I hope they are. I think the Germans are going to need all the help they can get in the larger, late war scenarios.

Besides, it would make for an interesting graphic. Imagine about 30 60mm mortar rounds hitting the same area at the same time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Was there an aircraft mounted 50??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One version of the Me-262 Sturmvogel carried a 50mm cannon. I think the Germans had more aircraft that were so armed, but I can't recall which.

BTW, one model of the Hawker Hurricane, the Mk. IV I believe, was armed with a 40mm under each wing. Was intended for tank-busting in North Africa, but as was usually the case may have proven of greater utility against soft-skinned vehicles.

Michael