Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tank accuracy!?!

Ok Im sure this has been talked about before but I cant find it with the search down and all.

Are some tanks more accurate than others. I know there are many factors that go into a shots accuracy but it gets old getting the first 2-3 shots off at a german tank only to have it SLOWLY turn and fire 1 shot and kill me. Now Im not saying that Im hitting it and its bouncing off. But Im missing 2-3 times with no other fire on my tank. Usually with my TC out and not button up.

Ok so what tank guns are more accurate than others. Is there scientific proof (ie. was it like this in real life or is this just a hunch your going on)?

I thought i read one time that a particualar sherman had better optics and that made it deadly but dont know this to be true. Memory doesnt serve like it should :(

Thanks for any and all usefull imput.

Blades

Most important point for gun accuracy is the gun velocity. For a Sherman's 75mm guns this is 619m/s. The 88L71 of the King Tiger and Jagdpanther has IIRC a gun velocity of 1018m/s. => BIG difference.

The faster the shell travels the flatter is the trajectory the higher is the chance for a hit. I don't think that CM models optics, I recall the hot discussions about the not-implemented superior optics in german AFVs.

Also remember that some tanks (especially the 75mm Shermans) weren't desinged as tank destroyers but for infantry support.

Use dedicated tank destroyers instead for killing axis tanks.

hmm Ok so are almost all of the German tanks more accurate? I mean even the 76mm is slower then the German counter parts by alot..

Or does the increase in velocity have a limit to helping accuracy? Or does anyone know ;)

Blades

Higher velocity guns will result in higher accuracy, other factors affecting accuracy are the size of the target, hulldown or not, crew experience, facing and whether the firer/target are moving/stationary to name a few. So yes on average the German guns will be more accurate, but many of the better German tanks are Large and are easily hit as well. The US 76mm is about on par with the German 75L/48, the US 75 is not. Optics are not modelled in CM. You can get this info from the details screen in-game and get a better feel for the relationships affecting accuracy.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blades:

hmm Ok so are almost all of the German tanks more accurate? I mean even the 76mm is slower then the German counter parts by alot..

Blades<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually muzzle velocity for a 76mm US gun is 793m/s.

Pershing's 90mm: 854m/s

Tiger I's 88L41: 773m/s

Pzkpfw IV's 75mm: 750m/s

Panther's 75mm: 925m/s

The Stug III and IV use the Pzkpfw IV's 75mm gun, so I woulnd't say that almost all german tanks are more accurate.

But it's a fact that the long 88mm and 75mm were superior to US guns.

The difference in accuracy between a gun with, say 619m/s and a gun with 1018m/s is REALLY big.

Modern tank guns have a muzzle velocity of abourt 1500m/s. Makes them deadly accurate and gives them a lot of punch.

Though muzzle velocity is very important for a gun's performance, there are other factors, too. Crew experience, quality of optics, design of turret and many more. Don't know how or if BTS modelled all these factors.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Though muzzle velocity is very important for a gun's performance, there are other factors, too. Crew experience, quality of optics, design of turret and many more. Don't know how or if BTS modelled all these factors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can tell you with absolute certainty the very high quality of the German gunnery optics are NOT modeled in this game. (its a LONG story). Crew Quality is modeled and better crews are more accurate. Allies Gryro Stabilizers are modeled and those allied tanks that have them are not penalized while firing and targeting on the move.

THERE is a VERY detailed set of targer aquistion algorythms that determine the likelyhood a a chance to hit. Factors that are modeled are time of day (lighting condtions), hull down/not hull down, either tank (target, or shooter) moving , crew experience, velocity of the weapon, and there is an quisition bonus that means the chance to hit an aquired target goes up after every missed shot fired.

To Blades:

THERE are some VERY long and detailed old threads on this board that cover jsut about every point you have mentioned.

Many of us here have been playing the game since the beta demo and have seen the targeting algorythms evolve to the state they are now. There used to be a GREAT deal of moaning and bitching about how incorrect the targeting and chance to hit percentages were modeled and most here now believe they are VERY realistic and accurate. In the last two patches the chance to hit probabilites were bumped up a bit for some weapons I believe.

I shoudl not be so lazy and quote a few of the threads here, but the search is too slow.

Anyway, the CMBO game will not be tweaked fixed or patched anymore so it is the way it is. But I asure you most here will tell you it is NEAR perfection the way it is now, given what we started with, in the beta Demo.

-tom w

In a nutshell, yes, most German tanks will have a better first round hit capability than Allied vehicles. A flatter firing trajectory and higher muzzle velocity meant a hit was more likely to do damage.

Much of the Panzer's effectiveness can be attributed to crew experiance. A great many of the German tank crews in France were refitting after tours on the Eastern Front, where they were engaged in tens of actions.

Read the accounts of Allied armored crew men in Normandy. For most, it was their first action. They were scared and nervous. There's a good reason why many referred to Shermans as "Ronsons".

Umm I wasnt calling for things to be changed. I just wanted to know how they worked. And if it was worth spending the money to buy say and EZ 8 sherman over say 2 TD for the same price :rolleyes: for going up against the German big cats.

I did try to do a search before asking this question but its down. :confused:

Thanks for all the imput this does help some

Blades