How accurate are bazookas?

This may be realistic or it may be a fluke,but an incident has me wondering about the accuracy of bazookas.

I was moving four tanks - 2 Panthers, a PzIV and a Puma long a road; unknown to me, there was a bazooka unit in the woods on each side of the road both 90 m away. My tanks stopped, expecting to spot some enemies in front, and during the next minute, the bazookas killed all four tanks with their first four shots as the tanks returned ineffective fire.

Now this seems a bit unrealistic to me -bazookas were not very accurate weapons. What is the probability of a crack bazooka getting a kill at 90 m? Let us say it is 50%; this would mean that the probability of getting 4 hits in a row is only 1 chance in 16. If the probability is 80%, the probabiity is 41%, but I doubt that the probability could be so high.The Puma in particular is not a very big target from 90 m away, especially when the bazooka is being shot at...

Was I just unlucky or is the probability of bazooka hits too high? My opponent said that the bazookas were crack units.

Henri

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

My opponent said that the bazookas were crack units.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's your answer. Crack AT teams are deadly. Using a lot of crack units is a wee bit unrealistic, since these would be extremely competent soldiers (i.e. the ones most likely to get into a scrap and get killed in it) and there were very few of these around.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

In a PBEM game using ver. 1.24 I had a tank Killed by a GREEN zook team...199 meters AWAY & on it's 1st SHOT!! Needless to say, I'm still in therapy biggrin.gif

I wonder if there is a bug? Anybody wish to test this b/c I'm too lasy to do it tongue.gif

------------------

"Far better it is

To dare mighty things...

Then to take rank with

Those poor, timid spirits

Who know neither

Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grobdeutschland:

In a PBEM game using ver. 1.24 I had a tank Killed by a GREEN zook team...199 meters AWAY & on it's 1st SHOT!! Needless to say, I'm still in therapy biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oooh dear, this sort of incident could take months to get over, even with the best psychotherapists and drugs in the business. I'll pray for you to get over this episode as soon as is humanly possible. wink.gif

Regards

Jim R.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

My tanks stopped, expecting to spot some enemies in front, and during the next minute, the bazookas killed all four tanks with their first four shots as the tanks returned ineffective fire.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I was the lucky bastard (sorry Henri), so here's my side of the story.

- The zooks were indeed crack, and they must have fired 3 or possibly 4 rounds each (fairly sure) in that turn, once they unhid from the woods.

- The shots were dead flank, on (almost) stationary targets.

- All targets were very close together.

- The first shot killed a Panther, then another Panther was first immobilised before been killed. The Puma and the Stug (I believe) got killed right at the end of the round.

I would say that it maybe the ROF of the zooks is too high. The targets though were fairly close together and stationary, so probably a good chance of been killed.

Also, Andreas, I agree that too many crack units are unrealistic, but it was a canned scen, so no choice there.

------------------

...or somefink.

[This message has been edited by coralsaw (edited 01-02-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

Also, Andreas, I agree that too many crack units are unrealistic, but it was a canned scen, so no choice there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was not meant to accuse you of gameyness. I do that myself from time to time, and it is no sure-fire way to score in any event. I saw an elite yook team miss a Hetzer 6 times at 75m in one game.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

And that, as Paul Harvey says, is the rest of the story.

2 crack crews, 4 shots each at stationary targets in hitting in the rear? It doesn't sound so absurdly lucky anymore.

Yeah, the ROF may be a bit high... heck, those guys were probably bobin' up and down out of those foxholes like wacka-moles! ;^)

But hey, where were those infantry scouring the woods ahead of the column? Doesn't sound like it is ALL the games fault! ;^)

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

The last thread got closed. Here it is for those that give a Sh*#t.

General data on the M1a1 and M9:

Range: Point Targets 50 to 300 yards

Range: Area Targets 300 to 50 yards

Sights: The front and rear sights are mounted on the left side and are 20 7/8 inches apart. The front sight consists of three studs representing ranges of 100, 200 and 300 yards. The rear sight is a peep sight. Gunner must estimate intermediate ranges or ranges in excess of 300 yards, as well as estimate windage and lead.

Muzzle velocity is 265 ft/sec. Large arc on trajectory beyond even 200 yrds

The weapon has a relatively low rate of fire; it has a distinctive flash on discharge, tending to disclose the firing position; and when fired at point targets beyond 300 yards range it is comparatively inaccurate. Its accuracy when firing at moving targets decrease as range increases.

Can be fired from prone, kneeling, sitting and standing positions. Recommended Training consisted of extensive practice round firing at both stationary and moving tank sized targets between ranges of 100 to 300 yards.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Polar:

But hey, where were those infantry scouring the woods ahead of the column? Doesn't sound like it is ALL the games fault! ;^)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As it happens, in this canned scenario, the Germans don't have a single infantry unit. When I have a choice, I usually send infantry ahead of the tanks.

Henri

Henri