Scenario/QB Purchase point allocation

NON

I've designed a small assault/defend type city map that I intend to use in a QB type setting. I would like for each side to be able to pick his own units, but if I do a QB you are presented with a very limited option for choosing points for each side, especially as you get to larger battles. Is there any way to specify an exact amount of purchase points for each side without also having to pick the forces? That is, can you specify purchase points more precisely when starting a QB or can you make a scenario where you only specify each sides points but let them pick their own forces?

Odie

Thanks, but that isn't quite my problem.

What I want is to set up a battle using my map where I can specify (exactly) the purchase points for each side yet still allow both player to purchase their own units. In this example I want the defender to have around 1700 points and the attacker around 3600, but if I use the map in a QB all I can choose is 1500 or 2000 for the defender, nothing in between, and neither of these values (even combined with handicap) gives me anything close to the point allocation I want for the attacker.

Any way around this?

So this is the only way to do it then? I'll still be off by around 20% for the defender and slightly less for the attacker, hopefully it's not going to be a huge deal. Just a pity there's no way I can specify exactly the amount of points that would suit the map

Odie

Originally posted by NON:

Is there any way to specify an exact amount of purchase points for each side without also having to pick the forces? That is, can you specify purchase points more precisely when starting a QB or can you make a scenario where you only specify each sides points but let them pick their own forces?

Odie

No (At least... I don't think so). You can work around it to some extent, but you end up picking out some of the forces and placing them on the map before it is imported into a Quick Battle.

You can have a trusted third party do this (both sides would have to e-mail their force request, have the 3rd party purchase and place them on the map, and then get the map back.)

If you don't mind some break in the FOW, you can do it yourself. For example, the attacker wants a certain medium tank platoon and the defender wants cerrtain units purchased and placed on the map before importing into a QB.

Also notice how the point limits for the catagories change for the defender between "Attack" and "Assualt", especially for fortifications. If you choose Assault over Attack, the defender is cut back on the other catagories (Infantry, support,etc.) and forced to put more points in fortifications.

If you don't want the defender to be forced into this restrictive situation, you can choose Attack and give the Attacker a 10-25% bonus, but then you put the appropriate amount of fortifications on the map (of the defender's choosing) before importing into a QB. This way, the attacker can get the appropriate force level vs the defender that would be designated for an Assault QB, and the defender can still have trenches, wire, mines, etc. without having to skimp on infantry and support.

You will have to play around with the editor and the bonus allowed for one side to get it close to what you want, but it won't be perfect.

Ken

--Also notice how the point limits for the catagories change for the defender between "Attack" and "Assualt", especially for fortifications. If you choose Assault over Attack, the defender is cut back on the other catagories (Infantry, support,etc.) and forced to put more points in fortifications.---

but that doesn't apply to the 'unrestricted' setting... that would be 'combined arms' instead...

Thanks guys! I'm playtesting the map with a PBEM buddy now. We started two simultaneous games, one with 1500 for the defender and the other with 2000, both with a 25% bonus for the attacker, and I'm sure either or both of these will be fine. It's a rather large map, an extra couple of hundred points worth of troops littered around is probably not going to have that much of an effect

Odie

Originally posted by manchildstein (ii):

--Also notice how the point limits for the catagories change for the defender between "Attack" and "Assualt", especially for fortifications. If you choose Assault over Attack, the defender is cut back on the other catagories (Infantry, support,etc.) and forced to put more points in fortifications.---

but that doesn't apply to the 'unrestricted' setting... that would be 'combined arms' instead...

Oops... My bad.

Thanks for setting me straight on that.

I am so used to playing Standard Rarity and Combined Arms that I forget how the allocation for the catagories change.

Ken