OT: Military History Magazine - any good?

Just found a copy in my local grocery store (of all places). Intrigued, I bought it for 3.99USD. The articles seem to cover lots of different conflicts from China, Norway, US Civil War are the three I've read so far. Very interesting reads. I can't vouche for the accuracy, but they seem credible.

Any way, I'm thinking of getting a subscription. Does anyone read this magazine and would you recommend a subscription (19.95USD for 6 issues)?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Can anyone recommend any good magazines about wargaming or wars at all? Ive been trying to find some at my local Barnes and Nobles, but they seem to have a lack of them.

If you could provide links which would get me to a subscription, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Guest Michael emrys

Juardis, I subscribe to Military History and a couple of its sister publications, World War II and Aviation History.

I would rate them as pretty good, but not the best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the mags I used to really like are either no longer available (at least I can't seem to find them), or are absurdly expensive.

In any event, it seems like you enjoyed the copy you bought, so you are the best one to decide whether it is worth the price of a subscription.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Just found a copy in my local grocery store (of all places). Intrigued, I bought it for 3.99USD. The articles seem to cover lots of different conflicts from China, Norway, US Civil War are the three I've read so far. Very interesting reads. I can't vouche for the accuracy, but they seem credible.

Any way, I'm thinking of getting a subscription. Does anyone read this magazine and would you recommend a subscription (19.95USD for 6 issues)?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to subscribe to this one...it's not bad. You'll find a lot on conflicts we all know about, but the reason I liked it was because they often have articles on some of the lesser known conflicts and some little known facts about the larger wars. Couple of my favorites were one about the first US expedition in Korea, I think it was in the 1870s...could be wrong, it's been a long time, and one on the effectiveness of the German needle gun in the 1870 war with France. I got it for the features on things that are hard to find in books. I think it was worth the subscription price.

------------------

It is nearly always better to be beaten and learn, rather than to win and take no new knowledge from that victory.

Guest MantaRay

There are a few I get when i can find them.

WWII

Military Illustrated

Military History

Military Heritage

Military History Quarterly (MHQ)

The ones on Magweb are ok, but most are not in my interests, and seem rather small...less bang for the buck.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Guest wwb_99

There are several very good journals on military history. Unfortunately I forgot their names, but if you got to a local university library you can do a search for them, then have a looksee and see if you want to subscribe. And if you can fake student status you can save a pretty penny too.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Can anyone recommend any good magazines about wargaming or wars at all? Ive been trying to find some at my local Barnes and Nobles, but they seem to have a lack of them.

If you could provide links which would get me to a subscription, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look for Command magazine well thats if it is still in print been ages since I found one at my local mag racks.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

I get WWII and Military History. Pretty good, casual reading (bus, bathroom, lunch, etc.)

Another for gaming, is Command Magazine.

In all, the articles are pretty good. The readers usually alert the editors of any errors. Therefore, the writers have to be on their toes.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

I get WWII and Military History. Pretty good, casual reading (bus, bathroom, lunch, etc.)

Another for gaming, is Command Magazine.

In all, the articles are pretty good. The readers usually alert the editors of any errors. Therefore, the writers have to be on their toes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks all, I might have to check out Command as well. I especially like that the information seems accurate.

------------------

Jeff Abbott