Weird Result!

Just finished a PBEM game. QB with 4 VL's. I was playing Brits and throughout the game I held, or thought I held, 2 of the flags and the other 2 were marked as neutral. The final map came as a surprise as it had 3 German held VL's and one neutral.

Here's the best part ... I was awarded a minor victory :cool: Never new it was possible to win like that.

I've been playing CM and reading this forum for about a year yet I still learn new things all the time. Hope my opponent enjoys the ironic end to our game.

Your flag pictures are based on your forces and the enemy you can *see*. If you don't know they are there, they will not influence your estimates of who owns the flag. At the end, of course, everybody matters seen or not. So, the picture one or both sides has of flag ownership can be wrong at any point in the game.

As for winning anyway, losses are worth points, as well as flags. A small flag is worth about a typical infantry platoon or plain-jane AFV, while a large one is worth three times that, or about half a company. If the losses on both sides are about even, then ownership of the flags will typically decide the day. But if one side has suffered more than the other, then ground control may not be enough. The fewer and smaller the flags, the easier it is to win by inflicting disproportionate losses rather than by controlling ground.

Hehheh, I remember this foggy night pbem ME a while back. Three small flags, and lots of my men behind 'em, no enemy in sight. All flags were mine (yeah right smile.gif). Now, a new player might indeed think: 'Hey, cool, I'll sit this one out, and I'll win!'

What I thought was: 'If I don't do something soon It'll be a draw and the longer I wait the worse it'll probably get.' In short, just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there.