Question RE: German tank design

Did the German infantry climb on the rear deck of their tanks AKA "Soviet Style"? If not - was there something about the rear deck that discouraged that - or was it simply "against the rules"?

I've look for a picture showing German infantry riding their tanks "Soviet Style" but havn't found one.

Thanks.

You can find a very similar picture to the one in that thread on p. 145 of Kenneth Macksey's Panzer Division: The Mailed Fist (Ballantine, 1968): 3 assault guns in convoy with 10-15 men on each. A few other pics show proper tanks with men on the rear deck, in apparently less secure-looking situations.

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 01-02-2001).]

If I recall correctly in "Panzer Commander" by Hans Von Luck he recalls in the days of Normandy he commandeered several ATGs(I want to say a Luftwaffe Flak 88mm) to be in an Anti Tank role by some wheat fields. Surely nobody would ride out in the open but 'lo and behold about a company of British tanks with infantry riding on some of their backs starts coming. The 88's started firing at the lead tanks and in particular the ones with infantry on piggy-back at the onset of the ambush. Can you imagine being exposed to a 88's hit when it blasts the tank you're riding on? The poor British troops didn't have that good a time with those initial casualties and the sight and sound of your tanks getting knocked out around you. Not to mention the fact of the psychological effect of HV 88mm rounds flying overhead. In short the Brits had to pull out and come some other time. Personally tanks are great to have around. Just don't be right next to one since they attract to much firepower. Even MG's pelt them to force them to button up. Doesn't hurt the tank but the ricochets can hurt you.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Speaking of tank rears and heat, though this is a modern example, the U.S. M1A1 has a notirously high heat signature on the rear. While enroute to an expeditionary airfield in Kuwait our column stopped. We get out to talk to these U.S. Army tankers who were taking a break. Early in the conversation some boot Private First Class stops his Humvee just behind of the running M1A1. Everyone gets involved in the conversation and soon it's time to mount up again. But when walking back past the tank you couldn't help but notice that the hood of the Humvee was partially melted since it was way to close to the Abrams. Hah, hah, that PFC probably got a good @$$ chewing for that one.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

There are many photos of 12th SS Panzer Division troops being transported on the backs of tanks. I believe after tanks became big enough, it was common for German troops to ride.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I seen several photographs of this practice by Germans:

Numerous shots of SS PzGdrs on the back of PzIII/IVs at the time of the recapture of Kharkov by 1st SS Pz Corps (Spring '43).

Famous photo's from the 'Bulge of Tiger 222 (part of KG Peiper) with about 15 men on the rear deck - paratroopers with an interesting selection of small arms (British Sten etc..)

(Having committed myself to paper(?) I've promptly forgotten anymore examples!)

Jeff.