Close Combat Mission? ..maybe?

I am fairly new to wargaming. I bought Combat Mission because of the rave reviews that it is getting. It has since become my favorite game of all time. Now I am interested in trying more wargames. (In addition to CM, I am currently addicted to The Operational Art of War and Tacops). I just downloaded a demo of Close Combat: Invasion Normandy. This was my first experience with any game in that series. I found the gameplay to be very familiar. The game plays almost exactly like a 2-d Combat Mission but in real time. NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN INSULT IN ANY WAY!!! I was just wondering if Close Combat was the inspiration for the design of Combat Mission.

No. Close Combat was not the inspiration for Combat Mission.

Originally, BTS was teamed up with Avalon Hill to do a Computer Advanced Squad Leader (ASL), the infamous hex-based wargame of squad-level infantry and armor tactics that used cardboard chits. But then Avalon Hill got bought up by Has-blow (Hasbro). But BTS decided to continue the project, but went out on their own to create the Masterpiece we call Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

As for Close Combat (CC)comparisons between the two games, there have been numerous comparisons on this board in the past. A lot of them say the same thing in that CC's AI is piss poor and the sequential maps get old after awhile.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"--Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

"Buttkicking for goodness!"--Minsc, BGII

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-22-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

No. Close Combat was not the inspiration for Combat Mission.

Originally, BTS was teamed up with Avalon Hill to do a Computer Advanced Squad Leader (ASL), the infamous hex-based wargame of squad-level infantry and armor tactics that used cardboard chits. But then Avalon Hill got bought up by Has-blow (Hasbro). BTS decided to continuie the project, but went out on their own to create the Masterpiece we call Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

As for Close Combat (CC)comparisons between the two games, there have been numerous comparisons on this board in the past. A lot of them say the same thing in that CC's AI is piss poor and the sequential maps get old after awhile.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CM seems a little reminiscent of Muzzle Velocity, only leagues better. MV was the first game I know of to model WW II stuff in 3D with realistic camo jobs. Have there been others?

Actually, iirc, originally, Atomic was contacted by AH to produce "Beyond Squad Leader" but the project was scrapped. The product develops further into CC.

Later, not immediate, BTS was contacted by AH and you all know the rest of the story.

Both initally intended to reproduce SL on PC and the scale was similar but the final products are quite different.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

That was somekind of a miracle that Combat Mission was released. And lots of thanks to BTS for that. Muzzle Velocity was great game too, but it was more action game than wargame. I have always been interested in military history, medieval battles and WWII. I have tried to play those board games and two dimensional wargames but never got so interested from them as from CM.