Area fire question

If you assign Area fire, like you said, to a treeline, then order your men into said area. The fire will stop when the friendly troops get near it. This is unlike ordering your guys to fire directly at an opposition force, your friendlies will take hits as well.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Don't forget, you can always test your theory in QB.

from what i have seen, those MG's or guns will let your boys get awfully close before stopping. which is what you want, but it always makes me nervous.

as for the sharpshooter question, imagine yourself with a 30-06 hunting rifle and shooting randomly into woods. now imagine yourself with a .50cal M2HB HMG firing into those same woods. i dont think there is any point to the first one, and i dont think the game would count any casulties, maybe just suppress them. with that little ammo, it just a waste.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

as for the sharpshooter question, imagine yourself with a 30-06 hunting rifle and shooting randomly into woods. now imagine yourself with a .50cal M2HB HMG firing into those same woods. i dont think there is any point to the first one, and i dont think the game would count any casulties, maybe just suppress them. with that little ammo, it just a waste.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it actually has a suppressive effect

I suppose it could be worth doing, especially

later in the game when TCs and other

priority targets for ShShs are lacking.

Though it seems that once battle is joined,

the possible suppressive power of a bullet

flying through the bushes once in a while

would be lost in the din. Is there an

old thread that actually details how

suppression is calculated with area fire

and how much suppressive power various

weapons have? I agree with you that it

sounds silly, but the command is there.

This could be a case of they give you

enough rope to hang yourself. You can

also order your tanks to back towards the

enemy, but it's not advisable.

thx,

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cybeq:

If you area fire a treeline with a machine gun and advance your troops into said treeline will the area fire stop when freindly troops enter the area?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I've definitely had troops killed by "friendly" area fire. I learned the hard way to carefully cancel all area fire against a location I plan to occupy that turn. Otherwise, you pay the cost.

:(

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Is there an old thread that actually details how suppression is calculated with area fire and how much suppressive power various weapons have? I agree with you that it sounds silly, but the command is there.

This could be a case of they give you

enough rope to hang yourself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow rett, that new news to me! like you said, if it was the first shot of the battle, its effect would a lot different than if there had been hundreds of shots fired. so theres a thread about it? i would be very interested to read that if anybody knew where it is.