post play by play here..i need it to help with anxiety

i will be purchasing cm soon as i can. in the meantime, i would really like to read how some of your battles played out, in as much detail as you feel. if this is already being done on some other section of the board, please smack me across the face and let me know where i can go. i cant ever remember being this anxious about a game.

------------------

when evil is spoken about you, live so that noone can believe it

"Okay, closer, closer..... that's it.......

What the hell was that?!

WTF!

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You bastard! Take that!

Crap! Now what?

How long is the FO going to wait to ge that arty to fall!

Ha!

****e!

Ha! Ha!

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO where did THAT come from!

Man was that cool!"

There does that help? smile.gif

------------------

•Non illegitimi carborundum est

•If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

Following up on JD's post, here's my recent TCP game:

"Infantry ahead, coming in fast. stay down, troops.

-Puma on the center road. He's 50 yards from us!

"Target 2 oclock, Puma! Range 50! fire for effect!

-6lbr AT gun shoots-

"Got him! Tanks, range 100! Fire at will!

-Gun shoots

"Assault guns, 9 oclock, range 200! Fire at will!

-Gun shoots and shoots

"TIGER! 1 oclock! Shoot! Shoot! He sees us!

-Tiger shoots. Gun shoots. Both get KO'd.

My opponent wanted to know how many guns I had. Just one veteran 6lbr.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Free hosting for your CM pictures!

'putot:'

the panzergrenadiers left their jumpoff points along the sunken road and laden with weapons and ammo trundled out into the fields, toward the town.

Behind them on 'their' hill the guns opened up from the woodline on the crest.

rocket artillery spotters contacted the batteries.

spw 251/1s dashed ahead of the advancing infantry, not on the fields but along the sunken roads running between the fields. by using the sunken roads they could avoid enemy antitank fire from the raised railbed (embankment) outside of the town, 1500 meters away.

the sdkfz 7/1 and 7/2 halftracks meandered in the scattered trees, covering the force against any allied air attacks.

allied planes attacked anyway, bombing a vehicle here and there. one plane scored a hit on a company of pioneers loitering behind the 'german hill.' ouch... two spw 251/1s knocked out... flamethrower teams diminished or eliminated. So much for having transport for _all_ the pioneers' heavy weapons....

the infantry continued across the fields. here and there a british squad or machinegun would open up from a farmhouse.

all the while the german guns on the hill dualled with the allied antitank guns revealing themselves by firing from the opposite embankment; the rounds going back and forth from the guns on both sides passed over the heads of the infantry advancing along the lower ground of the fields.

allied artillery (3" mortars?) began pounding the 'german hill,' along with direct 88mm fire from sextants. a 150 ig knocked out here... a 75mm ig knocked out there.. an 88 knocked out... still the remaining german guns continued their fire.

the wrecks of canadian self-propelled guns and the broken frames of 57mm antitank guns began to dot the embankment just in front of the town.

allied air attacks were incessant.

some tank destroyers from 21st panzer division showed up and worked to find firing positions on the hill. oops... a nashorn got into place before the canadian antitank guns had all been knocked out. now flames and smoke marked the spot where she rested.

tigers infiltrated onto the battlefield, gunning their engines to take them down into the valley where they could assist in the advance of the infantry. hah!! those 57mm allied antitank guns were having no effect on the lumbering, box-shaped armored beasts.

the aa halftracks popped out of their hiding places and began a headlong advance toward the embankment.

over a dozen spw 251/1s also came out of hiding and dashed across the 1500 meters of farmland, toward the embankment.

supporting spw 251/9s and 251/2s also came out of their hiding places along the sunken roads, and out into the fields where they would have a clear line of site to the embankment and the buildings of the town behind it.

the 300mm rocket barrage came down all at once - 4 spotters with 25 rounds each - talk about 'beautiful....'

halftracks were being lost by the remaining, yet ever-diminishing fire from an assortment of canadian light tanks, self-propelled guns, and 57mm antitank.

as the lead halftracks approached within 200 meters of the embankment, more were lost to the 50mm mortars.... 'damn 50mm motars!!'

finally the canadian guns were silenced... the SPs, the light tanks, the 57mm ATs, the 50mm motars.

on one side, SPW 251/1s lined the embankment, keeping it clear of canadian troops.

in the middle the farmland was level with the embankment... this was the only place for vehicles to cross into putot on the other side.

the tigers veered in toward the 'center,' continuing to move up with the infantry.

vehicles containing the battalion companies' MG42s began picking their way forward along the sunken road.

from the sound of it, there were dozens of allied vehicles closing from the other side of the town. this could only mean that the germans must secure the town before the allied reinforcements would arrive.

the mg42s would be positioned in and about the town once the lead elements had taken it.

the infantry companies, at 65% or 70% strength at the beginning of the assault, had taken further casulaties in the minor skirmishes they'd faced leading up to their assault on the town.

now they were all closing on the embankment and the town.

three trucks loaded with machineguns drove up to a farmhouse and were intent upon unloading in order to provide some overwatch to the assulting infantry, while the machineguns from the other 2 companies in their transports inched closer to town, not wanting to unload until the infantry had taken the town.

the 3 trucks were ambushed by a vickers just oustide of the farmhouse.... 'ooops... we didn't screen that patch of woods across from the farmhouse!' 2 hmg 42s eliminated... platoon hq taken out... 2 trucks lost... damn!! so much for that 'firebase.'

a tiger and an sdkfz 7/1 are diverted to quell the ambush.

the pioneer company had long-since begun moving up behind the panzergrenadier battalion... only about 700 meters to go...

5 supporting stuh 42s moved up to join the armada of vehicles, moving across the fields much like ships on the sea.

a stuh is knocked out.... oh... one more canadian 57mm.

throughout the attack, every time a canadian position would open up, one or more guns on the 'german hill' would pitch in to help silence the position.

this made for parcticularly dicey situations when the german infantry would be engaged at close range with the target. the 105mm recoilless fire in particular had been 'iffy.'

more than one german casualty had been caused by an errant 105mm or 75mm round.

still the candian positions about the fields appeared to have been silenced.

now a fight was developing in the 'gap' where the land was level (no embankment) and the tanks could enter the town.

the panzergrenadiers were flush with the embankment. they began moving from the sides, into the center (gap, breach), protected from any fire from the town by the embankment. as they reached the center from the sides, the battle was joined.

fresh canadian infantry clamoured through 300mm craters and 'rubblized' buildings in order to meet the germans at 'the opening.'

an assortment of 88mm fire from the tigers, along with shots from the 105s of the stuhs, and all of the heavy fire coming from the german squads themselves; all of this drove the canadians inexorably back.

now that the germans were breaching the embankment, it could be seen just how many dead allied soldiers there were, particularly in the center. on the embankment itself, 6 dead 57mm guns stood out.

infantry and vehicles filtered through the breech. spw 251/1s were called to lead the way.

as the panzergrenadiers would engage the remaining canadians lodged deeper into the town, the spw 251/1s would pick their way forward into areas of scattered trees, testing to see if there were any hidden canadians closer to the germans than the ones which were visible. they were in luck.

only 1 or 2 spw 251/1s were lost in this role. each time they successfully 'took' another patch of scattered trees, panzergrenadiers would filter into the buildings, rubble, and craters around them.

tigers would fill the gaps. spw 251/9s and sdkfz 7/1 and 7/2s took up positions.

the german hold on the town was increasing, yet the sound of the approaching allied reinforcements drew closer.

the germans had to take the town in order to set up defenses. if the allied reinforcements were to arrive and engage before the town had been secured, it would put the germans in an untenable position.

finally the town was cleared. buildings burned and half the town was rubble from the 300mm barrage and later the fire from the 88s and 105s.

allied tanks rumbled into view. from the 'german hill' one of the remaining nashorns began engaging targets. he took out a sherman before his td was knocked out under a hail of return fire.

the germans had consolidated in and around the town, and on the flanks there were tigers in ambush positions, assisted here and there by an sdkfz 7/1 or stuh 42, with panzerschreck and machinegun support.

the machineguns which weren't mauled earlier had since been deployed all around the town.

perhaps it wouldn't be so easy for the allies to take this town back.

the germans still had 6 81mm FOs and a 120mm FO. Perhaps this fire should have then been directed at the large groups of vehicles on either flank? perhaps there was canadian infantry pushing up the middle? maybe if there were to dump 'everything' into the middle of suspected canadian infantry positions, they could break the counterattack before it even got started?....

still... over 40 allied tanks and a battalion of fresh canadian infantry was not going to be easy to stop, not with 7 or 8 operable tigers, 4 or 5 sdkfz 7/1s, 3 or 4 stuh 42, and an spw 251/9 here and there; not with only a pioneer company, and the renmnants (40%?) of a panzergrenadier battalion... all critically low on ammo.

the terrain made it difficult for the spw 251/2s to contribute in any meaningful way to the upcoming combat.

what about the canadian 4.5" and 5.5" FOs... 3 of each? if that were to start dropping in, it could be a rough time for what remained of the panzergrenadier battalion.

perhaps the approaching pioneers could indeed shore up their positions... they were only 100 meters outside of the town now.

a recon battalion which had been promised at the start of the attack is just now showing up, 40 minutes into the battle. also, it's not a 'battalion' any more but more like a company. there are a couple of pumas (how come we can't get psw 234/1s in june?... is it because they're ss?), and an assortment of spw 250/9, spw 250/1 (yes 250/1), 251/1... only a platoon of infantry... what the?

the battalion commander grumbled something about rather having more tigers, but reinforcements are reinforcements.

the air attacks continued... how were the recon units to get across the fields in order to shore up the german positions in the town? were they simply a day late and a dollar short?

andy