Has anyone tried "Super HiRes" Grass ?

Even with HiRes mods, I still feel grass is too much pixelated and somewhat spoil the quality of other terrain and units...

I was thinking of doing a "SuperHiRes" grass by just doubling the grass BMPs images'size and putting in 4 times the original image...

Files will go up to 1.6Mo each (!!), I wonder if any of the ol'modders here ever tried that, what it looks like and if it's slows down the game to a crawl confused.gif

Perhaps it just doesn't work though..

I think the slowdown will be very noticeable unless you have some graphics card with at least 64MB VRAM, preferrably twice as much or more...

Another option for you if you don't like the pixelation is to take your regular Hi-res grass textures (BMPs #1550-1569) and copy these to the other grass textures as well (#1500-1569, IIRC), then change your display setting to 640x480. I promise you won't notice the pixelation. smile.gif

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

I think the slowdown will be very noticeable unless you have some graphics card with at least 64MB VRAM, preferrably twice as much or more...

Another option for you if you don't like the pixelation is to take your regular Hi-res grass textures (BMPs #1550-1569) and copy these to the other grass textures as well (#1500-1569, IIRC), then change your display setting to 640x480. I promise you won't notice the pixelation. smile.gif

Cheers

Olle

Hey man, I know you, you're the one selling NO-res grass biggrin.gif !!! Now you want ME playing in 640*480 mad.gif ? NO WAY man !!!

I've only 32Mb VRAM, but I'll give a try at SuperHiRes, should be useful for screenshots anyway smile.gif

BMP 1500-1519 are Horizon tiles, it changes nothing but slowing the game to make them HiRes.

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Hey man, I know you, you're the one selling NO-res grass biggrin.gif

Wow, I'm famous! A real celebrity! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Seriosly speaking, graphics card usually use half of the VRAM to store textures, and the rest for calculations and stuff.

Grass textures at 1.6MB each will require about 20x1.6MB=32MB from your 16MB available memory.

To make this work you'll need to play games with fairly flat terrain, and better use low res textures for everything else...

Cheers

Olle, "The Master of no-res mods..."

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Wow, I'm famous! A real celebrity! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Seriosly speaking, graphics card usually use half of the VRAM to store textures, and the rest for calculations and stuff.

Grass textures at 1.6MB each will require about 20x1.6MB=32MB from your 16MB available memory.

To make this work you'll need to play games with fairly flat terrain, and better use low res textures for everything else...

Cheers

Olle, "The Master of no-res mods..."

Oh yes, you're famous, aren't you a marketing type wink.gif ?

As for texture VRAM use, I think that only ONE grass file is used for a given scenario : the twenty of'em are for various seasons/lightning conditions, no ?

So effect willbe limited in this case...but I'm a kid for those graphics tekkie things, so perhaps I completely err...

Guest KwazyDog

Pascal, I think you will find it dramatically slows down CM. This isnt just becuase of the VRAM issue, but it is also to do with the size of the textures. Current video card technology is very fast at moving around a lot of smaller textures, but if you start to give them extrememly large textures to play with, they are much less efficient.

Mind you, for CM2 we are looking at other ways we may improve the terrain wink.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Pascal, I think you will find it dramatically slows down CM. This isnt just becuase of the VRAM issue, but it is also to do with the size of the textures. Current video card technology is very fast at moving around a lot of smaller textures, but if you start to give them extrememly large textures to play with, they are much less efficient.

Mind you, for CM2 we are looking at other ways we may improve the terrain wink.gif

Dan

Thanks Dan,

It seems that higher-res textures are a dead-end, another case of "small is beautiful" smile.gif

Has it just to do with "file" texture size or with "surface size"?

In the former case the file can be reduced in size by for example reducing nr of colors (its mostly green anyway wink.gif )

In the latter I'd just wait for CM2...

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

I think that only ONE grass file is used for a given scenario : the twenty of'em are for various seasons/lightning conditions, no ?

No, there's one texture for each elevation level (0 through 19), that's why I suggested using flat terrain; the fewer elevation levels in use, the fewer grass files.

Coming to think of it; if it's really pixelation that bothers you, why not try textures where all pixels look exactly the same? And if they look the same, why have many of them when a single pixel will do as well? It won't look like grass though, rather like a very smooth painted flat surface...

I know, 'cause this is exactly what I've used in my Fastmods... wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Definately no problem with pixels there!

Cheers

Olle

Richard Tremblett's Bumpy Grass is nice. Pretty big files, too (512x512 textures). I downsized them to 128x128 for speed, and they still look reasonably good. The smaller textures still have the hint of bumpiness and still contain the color gradients, but don't sparkle as you move across the terrain. Although I am using 2xFSAA with my Voodoo5, and that also helps cut down on the pixel-popping a good deal.

- Chris