Mg teams with no frags?

I noticed something today for the first time and I really cant believe that it has escaped my attention for this long!

I was close assaulting a MG42 team today in rubble with an infantry squad. Both teams started close quater fighting but I noticed that only the infantry used grenades. I would imagine because of the rubble grenades would be perfect to fight with (soldiers hiding behind piles of rubble and such). Now I could be mistaken but wasnt MG teams issued grenades? It seems to me that they really should have them because of situations outlined here. I am not a programmer but I dont think it would be too hard to code it in there being that certain units use them already.

What are your thoughts on this fellas?

Also.......along the same lines......shouldnt bazooka and schreck squads carry pistols?????? This just makes sense to me!

Anyway.....great combat simulator!

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

If support teams were given weapons I think people may exploit them much like tank crews can be.

Now I do agree that they would have some kind of sidearm but this would probably allow for some outrageous tactics that would have people really getting their knickers in a knot over.

Imagine being swarmed with 'Shreck teams that had used up all their ammo but now were pulling out pistols and grenades to go hand to hand with your squads? Granted they wouldn't last very long but if enough were used well, quantity has its own quality.

Just my humble opinion of course. smile.gif

------------------

"'S muladach ma theid ar sgaoileadh..." -Duncan Ban Macintyre

If you had a machinegun would you bother to grope around for hand gernades then pull the pin/cord and toss, or instead hose down the area where the enemy is with mg fire to keep his head down while you move some units in to clear them out? Machineguns are supression weapons.

Tiger

It may very well be that aforesaid units DO have pistols and grenades, but are as disinclined to use them as the historical soldiers they are modelling.

Interesting question re: machinegunners - they had so much other crap to carry (spare barrels, AA sight, tool kits (with fouling tools, mops, spare firing pins/extractors/springs/etc.), tripod, hundreds of pounds of ammunition, a shovel to dig in with plus his personal kit such as sweater, spare socks, full water bottle, mess tin and rations for a day, iron ration, KFS, shaving and wash kit, gloves, pocket knife, etc. etc. that I wonder how many would really feel the need to carry grenades on top of it? The MG units in the game do not represent the guys in the infantry squads, these are "extra" to the establishment of a rifle platoon and thus I would imagine employed and equipped quite differently from the LMG inherent in every squad.

I just know someone will now want to point me to page XX of Squadron-Signal or Men-at-Arms for a photo or painting of a German MG gunner festooned with frags...

Another way to think of it is that your machineguns *do* have hand gernades. Each infanty squad carries (usually) a squad machinegun or squad automatic weapon, a submachine gun or 2 or 3, and some rifles. Take a look at the info panel for your infantry units. They have a machinegun/squad automatic weapon, *and* the squad has gernades smile.gif

Heavy machineguns shouldn't be trying to negotiate through enemy-infested terrain/buildings/rubble anyway, that's what rifle-infantry are for. The role of the heavy six-man mg & 2-man light machinegun crew is to lay down a supressiuon fire.

On another note, on the Eastern front the Germans had one man in the squad who's job it was to carry large sacks/vests full of stick gernades for bunker/strongpoint assaults.

-Tiger

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 01-22-2001).]

Good point Tiger about how MG42's in infantry squads do carry grenades. I didnt think of that. I will assume that the 6 man heavy MG42 teams (.30 cals and .50 cals too) are just really too specialized to carry them. I would just like to say, however, that if I were one of those six men, I WOULD have a few.

With respect to the other thing you said, Tiger, about just spraying the rubble with MG fire. Sure.....but I would MUCH rather spray to keep 'em hiding and lob grenades over what they are hiding behind. That would be much more effective.

Good points all. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Lanzfeld (edited 01-22-2001).]