Fellow gamers, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE read and punt!

I know this does not apply to Combat Mission. I apologize, but I think ya'll will understand. I'm not a board regular, but ya'll know I'm not just comming here to spam or randomly gather support for this cause. I hope the moderators will allow this off topic thread to be viewed for atleast a few days.

It has been brought to my attention that a group of sick people are making a Cloumbine mod for Half-Life which re-creates the atrocities of the Columbine school shooting. It also includes "bounus" missions that re-create other similiar acts of violence. If this mod is released it will no doubt recieve tremendous amounts of media cover once again blaming video games for Violence and surely cause problems for the entire game community. There is a petition crusade against it, I dunno if it'll do any good, but for the sake of computer gaming, particularly "violence" themed games, that this sickness NOT come to pass. We need to try.

The petition site is here: http://www.petitiononline.com/stpcgame/petition.html

Again, I apologze forr blemishing the CM boards with this, which shouldn't have to exist. I see it this way; we are continuing to fight an evil that once brave men defeated and we reinact in the scope of CM. However, it is our duty to fight such evil when and where we can. The evil today does not invade nations, although sometimes it does rally under the swastica.

Freedom of speech is a nessesary thing, however, the oposition to something clearly twisted against mankind itself should be fought against. I think you for your support, and I again ask the board moderators to have sympathy to my posting this here.

Thank you.

I will add that there is no address that I know of to the alledged mod site, and many people in the WW2OL community are skeptical of the authenticity of this. Still, I felt it worth the risk of signing something worthless than to not add my number if it was real. Until I can offer proof, I know its hazy, and your free choice.

-bus

Busboy, this is the wrong forum for this, and so I am closing it up.

I don't see how effectively banning one game or mod (by signing the petition) will somehow save all others from the same fate due to unwanted attention. I recall a game by Running with Scissors called Postal which did nothing but benifit from such negative attention several years ago so I also wonder what sort of effect such a move will really have.

It's a slippery slope and there will be plenty of other games that will be sure to grab the media's rather slanted view on videogame violence in the coming months (SOF-2 for one). Game devolopers have enough issues to concern themselves with without having petitions against them floating around.

Madmatt