Pre-battle Recces

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grisha:

The Soviets fought over their own territory for most of the war. They wouldn't have had the type of problems that invading armies had - at least until late summer '44.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russia is a big country. I doubt that the Cossacks had much of a clue about the terrain around Leningrad, or that the Siberians had much of a clue about ... anywhere!*

Hell, even in my own little country I'm constantly surprised by the variety of landforms around the place.

JonS

*I'm not bagging the Siberians here, just pointing out they were a loooooong way from home.

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

In deliberate attacks/defences, both commanders would have some idea about the terrain they are going to fight over and would make plans based upon that knowledge.

Silly me, and I thought that one asessed the terrain and made one's plans in the setup phase...

Anyway, thats enough riling. I personally enjoy the uncertainty of commiting one's troops. To digress a little, I'm glad to see that you didn't argue with my choice of tea and scones. I was going to replace scones with lamingtons but I didn't think that many on the thread would actually know what a lamington was.

It seems perhaps that I was wrong. So how about it then, hands up, exactly how many Kiwi's are hiding out in this thread?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by D'arcy Montague:

In deliberate attacks/defences, both commanders would have some idea about the terrain they are going to fight over and would make plans based upon that knowledge.

Silly me, and I thought that one asessed the terrain and made one's plans in the setup phase...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is _after_ one has "purchased" ones forces...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Anyway, thats enough riling. I personally enjoy the uncertainty of commiting one's troops. To digress a little, I'm glad to see that you didn't argue with my choice of tea and scones. I was going to replace scones with lamingtons but I didn't think that many on the thread would actually know what a lamington was.

It seems perhaps that I was wrong. So how about it then, hands up, exactly how many Kiwi's are hiding out in this thread?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody Kiwis! 'twas you bastards who wrecked Ansett! Give us back our airline! :eek:

Lamingtons are good but personally I've always preferred fresh scones. Ultimately though, nothing beats a downing a few schooners, hey? ;)

Jeez Steve,

You're laying it on a bit thick. Chill that heavy s**t out!

I just can't get it, as if having the entire armoury at your fingertips isn't enough! If you haven't had the nous to select a force capable of dealing with the unexpected then you just have to make a fist of it, thats wargaming.

As for Ansett, might I just point out that the most ardent proponent for the intial purchase of Ansett was the current Air New zealand chairman - Gary "The biggest gut in corporate Australasia" Toomey, who happens to be Australian, along with three other members of the board.