Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Martin Cracauer

More thoughts on a mailing list for people who like games with odd or historical units that have less combat value than the maximum for the CMBO points would be.

A custom scheme of cost raises may be installed, where people adjust the cost of their units manually, like -say- smg squads cost 2 points more and each Panzerfaust 60+ costs 5 points (whatever).

People offer each other referee services, like:

- Simulated quickbattle service. Custom maps are chosen and then units chosen by the referee or the referee adds both party's selection.

- Random little modifications to existing historical maps so that opponents may not count the number of tanks the other has.

- Both sides may send copies of moves with passwords to the referee if there is any doubt that agreements are obeyed (like the adjusted costs). May also be done after the battle.

- May send OOB to referee for approval of historical accuracy

People may maintain a pool of historical forces. Players may choose one of these.

May be extended to operation-like services like Jason Cawley offered once. A player has a force and on the next battle reuses it, where a referee decides about reinforcements, ammunition resupply etc.

Disclaimer: I like both optimizing one force and trying interesting forces. There is room for both, but you probably should not mix them.

Guest Germanboy

There are a number of good ideas floating around in here (very different from what is floating around in the Peng Thread), and I shall keep a tab on it. We will debate this internally in Die Sturmgruppe and see what we can do. I have no idea how we are doing for server-space or how much work this would entail for Grego, so we'll see what we can do.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Check me for a pulse. I read more than one Germanboy post on a "gamey vs. historical" topic and didn't disagree with everything he said.

I'm glad to see that the discussions in this and other gamey threads are heading toward the root of the acrimony - play balance.

Rather than getting third parties involved in every battle, I would like to see a menu from which to pick the "most likely to be seen" TO&E for each side for each type of engagement. For example a deliberate attack is more likely to include armor (maybe even some heavy armor) for the attacking side than a meeting engagement which is more likely to see ordinary riflemen, light armor,etc. Defenders are more likely to have AT guns and lots of TRPs than armor, etc.

I suppose that vanilla TO&Es would be a starting point but this seems a daunting task when the final objective is play balance. IRL commanders were not looking for fair fights.

• 4 weeks later...