German Tank mounted AA. machine guns.

How common were they? I know that the Tiger, Panther , and PanzerIV all had the capability of mounting an MG 34 AA machine gun on the commanders cupula ringmount and that this was done on occasion but rarely have I seen combat photos of tanks with this option in place(usually only on the painted artwork rendition of the tank in armor books and German tank scale models)I see that CM does not include a firepower benefit for them either.Was the use of them that uncommon?

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: ramor ]

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: ramor ]

Yeah, it seems strange to me too. I know that if I was a TC, I would make DAMN SURE I had a MG to use. Both for AA and also for those sneaky infantry.

I like the Isreali philosophy to tank warfare. TCs are supposed to stay up and firing. I believe all their tanks mount a coaxial MG.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ramor:

Just seems strange to me as I would think that if anyone needed point air defence on their late war tanks, it would be the Germans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never heard of any German expounding on why they didn't have AAMGs on their tanks (they did put them on halftracks), so this is just a few WAGs on my part. One thing they might have noted was that they weren't really losing many tanks to aircraft. Another is that 7.92mm is not a really effective caliber for an AA weapon (though many armies used that size in that role, it seems that it was mostly for morale building). The Germans did have 15mm weapons, but it doesn't seem to have occurred to them to use them in this role. Finally, and this may be the truly decisive reason, they seem to have preferred to build specialized AA vehicles that carried guns big enough (20-37mm) to do the job properly, plus turrets and sights and trained AA gunners. This seems to be by far the best way to go with the existing technology.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I like the Isreali philosophy to tank warfare. TCs are supposed to stay up and firing. I believe all their tanks mount a coaxial MG.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, yeah. Most tanks do mount a coax. But I defnintely agree with Israeili doctrine regarding keeping tanks unbottoned. I never button mine unless under artillery fire or direct infantry fire at ranges less than 100m.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Uh, yeah. Most tanks do mount a coax. But I defnintely agree with Israeili doctrine regarding keeping tanks unbottoned. I never button mine unless under artillery fire or direct infantry fire at ranges less than 100m.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you must not play against someone who buys vetran sharp shooters offten do you?