CM Quick Battle League Forming

Hello,

For those of you who have noticed my posts over the past few weeks, I've been trying to get a ladder / tournament going. However, I've decided that there are enough ladders (Rugged Defence, CMHG Annex, theblitz.org, etc) and good tournaments out there as well.

So, I decided to start a Combat Mission League.

How is a league different from a ladder or a tournament? Simply put, it has a regular season, which works like a ladder, tournaments, a post season, and a trophy. Yes, it's true a trophy, The BTS Cup which is awarded to the World Champion at the end of the season.

How does it work? Check out the website and see for yourself.

The league has a rolling admission policy so you can join later or join now and get a points jump on everyone. The Rules and FAQ should explain everything you need to know.

The membership of the league even gets to suggest ammendments to the rules, and the scoring model is updated every 20 games to more accurately reflect scoring trends and normalize the league so people can't abuse the system.

I would encourage everyone to at least take a look around and see if you like it. I think that you'll like the way the league is set up and it's my hope to get a fair enrollment for season 2001.

Everyone is welcome and the league costs absolutely nothing, I'm funding it out of my own pocket. You have nothing to lose!

Thank you

Keith Medlin

President and League Owner

CMadmin@culturek.com

------------------

------------------------

Quick Battle League Play 2001 SeriesLeagues are forming now!

[This message has been edited by medlinke (edited 01-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by medlinke (edited 01-19-2001).]

I will be adding a no pref option around 5:30 EST today, it's #1 on my list of things that need to be done.

In the meantime, come on over and sign-up! I have a few more people that will be added to the roster around that same time today when the roster update comes around.

Thank you and enjoy!

Keith smile.gif

------------------

------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Have you given any thought to actually having a season? Where each player would have scheduled games... the league leaders going to a playoff?

Just an idea... right now it just sounds like another ladder to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not just run a cup competition alongside the league, it's simpler smile.gif

------------------

Rugged Defense England Team Website:

http://combatmission.portland.co.uk/

For all our AARs (not those which have been lost)

To address a few concerns posted here:

1. Why don't I have scheduled matches.

I think that this is a great idea. Unfortunately in the world of PBEM I felt that it was just too impractical. For instance, a player may have a scheduled match against another. However, the other person is going on extended business. This means that there has to be a scheduling change.

While in isolation this doesn't present a serious problem, in reality it could pose a serious threat to the "league play" style you are suggesting.

For example:

Player X vs. Player Y

Player X can't play for 2 weeks.

So Player Y plays Player D

However, now there are no byes left for that round.

Now Player G decides to quit the league and Player G has 4 other games scheduled! Where do the gaps get filled?

Ideally, you are right. That is the way a league works.

SOLUTION:

I am thinking of dividing the players up into divisions (corresponding to the fronts of the war). So there would be the:

Pacific Front

Eastern Front

Western Front

African Front

Players would have to play each player in their division at least 2 times during the course of the season.

Players could then play outside their division as much or as little as they desire.

Each division would have it's own playoff and championship and these 4 players + the runners up & Special Invitations would advance to the World Championship Playoffs.

----------------------------------------

2. Why not just a cup?

I like tournaments. I think they are really fun and cool. However, I really set out to do a league.

The tournaments in the league are special events that offer bonus scoring opportunities for league members.

I realize that these things aren't noted on the website. However, if I put everything down now, I'd be sitting on the league for too long and quite simply...

I'd rather answer questions on an individual basis for the time being because it gives me the chance to see what people think!

------------------------

FINALLY

------------------------

The Roster has been updated as promised and there is now a NO PREF option when you are selecting the side you'd like to play.

So come on over and check it out. If there is enough response on this message board, I'll enact the league structure outlined above.

Remember, this is your league!

------------------

------------------------

The people have spoken and the league has responded.

It's easier than ever to get a game going now with the addition of more people to the roster, and a bulletin board system for getting games.

Also, for those concerned with what happens to their user information, I have added a privacy statement to the website.

In the Game Frequency I also added a TCP/IP option for people who are willing to play TCP/IP in addition to PBEM.

So keep joining and sending in those suggestions!

Thank you,

medlinke

------------------

------------------------

I have removed the restriction on no free e-mail addresses and will be offering free web based e-mail accounts on my server to those who wish to use free e-mail accounts with this league.

The accounts are totally free, get no spam, and are all yours. They are very comparable to hotmail and yahoo accounts. The difference is that they have NO limit on aliases, they have preset away messaging, and NO limit on mailbox size.

So, if you were interested in joining and couldn't because of the restriction...Go ahead and sign up now, and I'll get in touch with you about the details of the free e-mail (asking for a login / pw combination)

You have full control over that account so you can give me some junk pw and then change it to what you want later on without me knowing so that you will retain complete privacy.

Thank you and hope to see your join email soon!

Sincerely,

medlinke

------------------

------------------------