CM2 command line

I would like to suggest creating a command line set for QBs in CM2.

One of the current lacking features is the time it takes to set up a qb with someone, tell them exactly what you mean, see what they want to change, go back, change it, come back out, see what else they want to change.. ect.

Its not a huge workload, but it can be annoying.

You also can't really get a really random QB in CM.

Proposal: Create a command line function for QB generation so that front-ends can be written for CM2. I'll write one myself, if you implement such a system. This way, someone can save certain QB 'presets' they like to play with, and play them at the click of a button, rather than modifying 10 qb parameters.. you could also generate a randomize function that would effectively randomize some or all QB variables. Additionally, and perhaps most useful, the front end would be able to generate a paste-able text string describing the settings of the QB, so you don't have to spend all your time listing everything to your opponent.

A simple system, such as cm /QB /WEATHER:CLEAR /DATE:AUG42, ect.

It would be unwieldy for someone to manually enter all that data, but it would facilitate the use of a front end program that could simplify and add QB functionality, especially, but not limited to, multiplayer.

Thanks for your consideration.

Some of us old folks still like command line stuff I guess. Not sure how it could be faster if you have to type it each time, but the value proposition seems to be you can easily use the pre set conditions you like. You could save the command line parameters as a shortcut to the desk top.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

So how is that different than to going to the graphical user interface and selecting all that from pull-down menus? With command line variables, you still have to type all that out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, I don't think either of you read my post.

I said the primary reason for this would to be allow for the programming of QB and PBEM front-ends. This means a program that presents you with whatever options it wants to, and has the ability to execute the CM game of your choice.

For example, say you like playing german attack, 1500 points, in jan 1945, heavy trees, rural, moderate hills. Or something else entirely.. whatever it may be.. a front-end program could allow you to set pre-sets that would allow you to set all of your favorite game parameters in one click. Now, the front end program would then, itself, not you, enter the cm command line that brings up the appropriate QB.

This allows you to generate completely random QBs, to save your favorite QB parameters and execute them with one mouseclick, and also the program could put a text string into your pace buffer that listed all of your parameters, so you would merely have to hit paste to get "Allied attack, 1500 points, combined arms..." ect, ect. It makes it much easier to get that info to your opponent, rather than having to type it all out, forgetting to add some stuff, ect.

Anyway, I've already offered to design the front-end myself, I just want them to implement a command line system so that a QB could be directly executed from the front-end.

Oh I see now. I thought you were some dodgy old DOS guy at first, but the idea of being able to have a front end is intriguing. It could do all sorts of stuff, like set up random QBs and even handle PBEMs. This idea has some merit.

Of course, part of the draw is that I am alwaysa wanting ANYTHING that gets our grubby hands deeper into this game and its mechanics! Still, I like the idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Oh I see now. I thought you were some dodgy old DOS guy at first, but the idea of being able to have a front end is intriguing. It could do all sorts of stuff, like set up random QBs and even handle PBEMs. This idea has some merit.

Of course, part of the draw is that I am alwaysa wanting ANYTHING that gets our grubby hands deeper into this game and its mechanics! Still, I like the idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am one of those dodgy old dos guys - but thats irrelevant tongue.gif

And I don't think it would take much effort on their part to set it up, but I think my front-end would help speed up and increase ease of communication when setting up QBs.. and the presets would be especially valuable if you like single player QBs. This could also be done as an OLE link of some sort rather than through a command line, but I think that would unnecesarily complicate things.

Also, pbems could be kept track of, automatically run, emailed, ect.

That random-battle generator thing could EASILY be altered to spit out some standard file format (e.g. an INI-style thing) that could feed CM on the command-line. Then you could use the e-mailing stuff for the "fair randomness" thing.

It would take me maybe 30 minutes to make the changes.

Definitely a good idea.

To take this one step further, Combat Mission could also export the result of the battle as a text file such that the outcome of a battle can be re-imported in the front-end program. This way, a strategic layer could be designed ...

Regards, Thomm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:

That random-battle generator thing could EASILY be altered to spit out some standard file format (e.g. an INI-style thing) that could feed CM on the command-line. Then you could use the e-mailing stuff for the "fair randomness" thing.

It would take me maybe 30 minutes to make the changes.

Definitely a good idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats an excellent idea also. Allowing a standard file to define the QB settings would allow quick 'standardized' qb settings, easier saving of prefered settings, and, as you said, add the ability to import settings files agreed on mutually.

With a front end, either method could work. The front end could either enter the command line directly, or write the file and launch the command line to point to the file.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollstoy:

To take this one step further, Combat Mission could also export the result of the battle as a text file such that the outcome of a battle can be re-imported in the front-end program. This way, a strategic layer could be designed ...

Regards, Thomm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is also an excellent idea. It would be a simple matter to put out the AAR data into a text file - and then if someone wished, they could write a front-end to do something with it (I'll consider doing that), otherwise, you just create a harmless text file, which assumably gets written over every new game (like an autosave)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Whoah there! That idea by Rollsroyce makes the whole idea of a campaign game a possibility. The file that it spits out could be used to set up the NEXT battle, taking into account the victory conditions, losses, etc. Oh man, I am excited now.

BTS DO SOMESING!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best part of it is that its no work by them, at all, aside from saying "display victory conditions in this file and on the screen" rather than just "display victory conditions on the screen", which is a minimum of effort. So I hope they'll open the door to any coder who wants to write a program to keep track of things between battles.

Additionally, although its extra work, it would be nice if you could import units into scenarios by standardized text files. This way, the front end could keep track of your batallion, or whatever it may be, and automatically send the updated roster, with casualties, experience gains, supply/ammo, ect, directly into the CM scenario editor.

To do this, BTS would have to do a little work, but I don't think it would be too hard, but they would be opening the door to their talented fan base to make free programs that increase their game's appeal. I, for one, would welcome such opportunities, and would heavily consider working on a 'strategic' layer sort of program.

BTS, your comments please?