Has anyone seen AI totally wipe itself out, with its own arty.

Over the last week, I have been making a new scenario. I finally got the finishing touches done. Started my scenario. I set up the sceanrio to have a German patrol start the battle, while the main force is still back at the small village. My patrol took out 3 Sherms with 2 Shrecks, and allies infantry was moving on my postion. Out numbered heavily. So I fell back to another set of trees, where I have 2 Mg42's and 75mm recoiless rifle, and 2 snipers, that will do nicley in covering my patrol that is falling back. So I get my patrol back to my fall back position, with out a scatch and they took out 3 Sherms so I happy. About 3 turns later the Allies infanrty and remaining tanks move on my fall back position. I open up on them take out 2 more Sherms and infanrty starts to overrun my position. I fell back again to another set of trees in front of the village with my main force.

Here's were the arty comes in. The last position I held before falling back the second time, the american infantry over ran so I pulled out. The next turn Allied arty pounds the hell out of the position I just had and, now the allies are at this position which their own arty is bombing.

I was just wondering if any of you had seen AI arty itself???

I have seen it before, but this time AI arty caused heavy damage, almost detroyed the whole company. I have never seen this much damage done by AI's own arty.

I played a game of Chance Encounter once where the German side targeted the "German Woods Hill" with its 81mm spotter while we both were in there and fighting each other. However, most of the rounds fell on the German side of the skirmish line. So that just made my job much easier.

I once dropped shells on my own men. There was 3 or 4 squads, a company I guess, waiting in brush, they had just stormed the area routing out some troops that were there. Well, as I often do I got busy paying attention to something else and forgot I had targeted that area earlier. Well, at first I thought what the hell then realized what had happened. I laughted my butt off. I wiped damn near all of them out, a whole company! They still won't talk to me to this day. God it was funny. Stupid too but funny. We do have fun don't we. redface.gif

Played one where the German AI was pushing hard on my left flank through the woods. All of sudden rockets are droping all over the woods and a few nail my guys and they break. Next turn I'm trying to get them back together to repel the next attack and it doesn't come. At the end of the game I can see that more rocket rounds nailed this guys and completely broke the attack and left lots of dead german sqds.

smile.gif

------------------

Cos

OK, I made a couple of mistakes withb arty....

1. Shoot arty too near to my front troops.

2. Using the "Target Wide" order, so more chance to self mutillation...

3. I gave the order to the wrong spotter...

4. So I landed two huge 14" naval gun shells in my own infantry....

BOUM... no comments. I lost.

------------------

"We do not retreat... we advance to the back of the formation..." (brave new soldier)

My issue sounds similar to Maximus.

I had just fallen back from the section that arty was falling on.

Only thing is I displaced a platoon and 3 Shreks & 2 snipers, with out a casualty, I am sure the Americans suffered serious losses with their own arty falling.

Is there anyway to find out casualties cause by ones own forces (Friendly fire casualties)?????

If I'm not mistaken, Friendly Fire kills will show up on the respective units kill board because, a) it got the kill and B) it "knows" it's own units so the kill should be credited. Not unlike an AFV that takes itself out due to carelessly shooting HE too closely. The kill board shows that it killed itself. I don't know for certain because I haven't seen friendly fire first hand, just taking my best guess. BTW fellas, if you want to prevent friendly fire in the future due to forgetting your arty aim points, ensure you hit Shift-p and choose to show target lines. Friendly Fire arty kills will be a thing of the past. I prefer to toggle through shift-p so I show targets and move points. Gives an alarmingly clear shot of the "big picture" while you're playing. Hope this helps!

Bigmac out!

------------------

All CM All the time!

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community