Hedgerow Tactics

Well, I have fought three hedgerow dominated battles, and I have mixed feelings about the way they are modeled.

That being said, this is how I see them in CM, tactically.

Certainly you have noticed that running through a hedgerow is dangerous. The guys get tired real fast, they take a whole minute to traverse, and the poor blokes are very vulnerable to fire.

Essentially, they are not for fighting in, but around. AMOF, I have found that situations like your corner MG in that one hedgerow work best if you are behind the HR, much like behind a wall.

How have others of you dealt with them?

I've been playing scenarios with hedgerows, because I am working on a scenario w/ HR's. I've found the troops act like HR's are open ground. When under fire they flee toward other terrain, even toward enemy fire. For defense/cover HR's don't seem to have much value in CM, IMO. Doug

The problem is that hedgerows are treated like tall walls, and do not provide any inherent protection.

In reality, the hedgerow itself would provide protection.

The exposure factors for bocage is exactly the same as for walls, as so reported by the recntly provided exposure tables by JuJu.

As bunkers are misreprented as vehicles, so too are HRs misrepresented as tall walls.

From my experiance it is nearly impossible do defend " behind " some obstacle like bocage or walls when the unit status say

"located in: open ground". As soon as the unit is adversly affected by enemy fire it heads to the nearest terrain tile which offers more protection.

However, if the unit is in a foxhole and behind a wall or hedgerow the usually hold their ground, but you get foxholes only when playing the defender. Juju's exposure tables are really a great game aid.