PBEM Template for Comment

Greetings CMer's

I am designing a PBEM template and would like to hear your comments and suggestions.

This Template will not suit everybody. However if you like it, give it a go

DESIGN PHILOSOPHY:

The template replicates the Quick Battle setup screens. but also adds version control and a method for tracking e-mails (thanks Karch).

The template works like this:

1. Player 1 thinks up a scenario that would be fun to play for either side. Then Player 1 chooses the setup options and deletes the unused options.

2. Player 1 then e-mails the template to player 2. As matter of courtesy, give player 2 the choice of side.

3. If player 2 agrees with the options then player 1 sets up the quick battle and e-mails him/her the first file using the e-mail naming convention. If there is some disagreement, then work it our for yourselves.

4. Start playing!

=================================

PBEM GAME

Greetings,

Your choice of side.

Let me know if you agree with the situation and setup and I'll send through the setup file. Alternatively please e-mail me any changes or clarifications.

Regards

(Name)

---------------------------------------------

SITUATION

(background to the clash) for example:

A British battle group is conducting a deliberate reconnaissance in force towards a key village in this sector. The village is vital to the Germans as it contains a well-camouflaged POL dump they have been unable to move due to the lack of suitable transport. At the moment it is only lightly guarded by third line troops. As a result, the Germans are using the overcast weather

to despatch a covering force to secure the POL dump properly...

SETUP OPTIONS (example below)

CM Version: Demo / 1.05 / 1.1

Axis Force Type: Combined Arms / Infantry / Mechanised / Armour

Allied Force Type: Combined Arms /Infantry / Mechanised / Armour

Axis Force Composition: No Restriction / Army / Waffen SS / Fallschirmjager / Gebirgsjager / Volkssturm

Allied Force Composition: No Restriction / American / American Airborne / British / British Airborne / Canadian / Polish / Polish Airborne / French

Axis Quality: High / Medium / Low / Random

Allied Quality: High / Medium / Low / Random

Axis Purchase: Automatically / Human

Allied Purchase: Automatically / Human

Battle Type: Assault / Attack / Probe / Meeting Engagement

Force Size: 300 / 400 / 500 / 600 / 700 / 800 / 900 / 1000 / 1250 / 1500 / 2000 / 3000 /5000

Map Size: Small / Medium / Large

Attacker: Axis Attacker / Allied Attacker

Handicap Attacker: None / -67% / -50% /-30% / -10% / +10% / +25% / +50% / +75% / +100% / +200%

Date: Jun 44 / Jul 44 / Aug 44 / Sep 44 / Oct 44 / Nov 1944 / Dec 44 / Jan45 / Feb45 / Mar 45 / Apr 45 / May 45

Time: Day / Dawn-Dusk / Night / Random

Weather: Clear / Overcast / Rain / Fog / Heavy Fog / Snow / Random

Game Length: 20-60 turns (30 is default)

TERRAIN

Map Type: Town / Village / Farmland / Rural

Tree Coverage: Open / Light / Moderate / Heavy

Hilliness: Flat / Gentle Slopes / Small Hills / Moderate Hills / Large Hills

Fog of War: Full / Partial / None

SPECIAL RULES

Armour Restriction: None / 76mm/Panther 75 Rules / Short 75 Rules

Artillery Restriction: None / 155mm or less / 120mm or less

Detailed Armour Hits: On / Off

E-MAIL PROCEDURES

E-mail Turnaround: 1 per day / 1-2 per day / 2-3 per day / 3 or more per day

Time Zone: +12 to -12 GMT (Note: for Windows 95/98, you can find you your

time zone under the Date/Time Properties).

E-mail file naming convention: player1_player2_CMversion_filenumber,

sender's inital

When you send a pbem file, increase the filenumber by 1 and add your initial, for example:

Tony sends the file tony_scott_105_001t to Scott. Scott then sends the file

tony_scott_105_002s to Tony and then Tony replies with tony_scott_105_003t

back to Scott. This way you can tell by looking at your list of files if you

have any files to reply to. Just find the highest number for each game, if your initial is not on it... play it. (thanks Karch)

PHILOSOPHY

1. My gaming philosophy is that I PLAY to win, not play to WIN. I play CM because it is fun, and I get to meet a lot of people with similar interests. I like to win but I'm not interested in grinding people into the dirt. If winning is ALL you care about then let's stop here.

2. I will accept any reasonable ceasefire if you ask for one by e-mail.

3. If I haven't received a reply within 24 hours of e-mailing a PBEM file, I will send it again.

4. If I can't finish a game (ie. I'm either dead or in the Intensive Care Unit) then I will let you know as soon possible and either ask for a ceasefire or I'll surrender.

5. After the warm glow victory (or the cold, sludgy depths of defeat) we'll have debrief session of how the battle went. I find the debrief is as fun as the game - especially when you get to see the end game map.

6. Feel free to e-mail me your questions and comments before, during or after the game.

7. Most of all, have fun!

Guest Space Thing

WOW! A whole lot of typing going on, but I like it. Its an excellent idea!

This sort of conversation should be going on before ALL games (PBEM or TCP/IP). It is a great example of good sportsmanship and you can never have too much of that.

If this kind of thing has been said before, it sure doesn't hurt to have it said again.

Good work Beer_n_Pretzels!

Hi Medlinke,

As I explained in my reply to your e-mail, it is serendipity. Furthermore I have NEVER been to your website.

I first used this template last week (13th January). I posted the template to the forum because my opponent thought it was a good idea and I thought other people may want to use it. I bloody wish I had never posted the damn thing, I never expected to under suspicion from stealing frown.gif Even one of the denizens from the cesspool is pissing on me from a great height wink.gif

Medlinke, I can understand that you would be suspicious, if not downright mad when somebody posts something similar on the same day as you. For that I do sincerely apologise. However instead of waiting for my reply to your e-mail message, you have now virtually accused me of stealing in a public forum. On the Internet this is very serious offence and I kindly ask for a public apology to clear my name.

thanks in anticipation

BnP

p.s. I don't hold a grudge, and I hope we can have a game sometime smile.gif

As I stated to you back channel I am sorry and I did retract my statements from this website.

I actually made the post then e-mailed. I was pretty ticked when I saw it as you understand. However, I realize that just like a King Tiger being taken out by a 1:10000000 mortar round...these things happen in CM!

So, no hard feelings! Sorry about that, apparently my post doesn't read Oops! now on all people's machines.

Regardless, I'm sorry about that and again as stated in my back channel e-mail I'm sorry about the accusation and you can consider this a more than embarassing retraction of my previous statement.

I take responsibility for my actions and clearly I was in the wrong.

Sorry

medlin

------------------

------------------------

Quick Battle League Play 2001 SeriesLeagues are forming now!

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that BnP is a great PBM opponent and starting a game off with his email form as a template is a great way to make sure you don't forget anything when setting up a game with someone so both know what to expect.

As for the email naming, I'm surprised how few people use a standard convention to keep track of turns. This system works really well.

cheers

Scott Karch

Looks pretty nice.

There are to few options in the E-mail turnaround slot though. What I typically play is "1 every 2 days (average)" or "about once a week". (Can you tell my opponents and I have other things to do besides playing CM? One is a travelling salesman that can only play when at home, and the other I don't know.)

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...