OT: Saving Private Ryan Vehicles

Strangely enough I may have first hand knowledge of at least one of the vehicles used in SPR.

While visiting Trieste (Italy) last year, I stopped by the Diego de Henriquez Museo di Guerra per la Pace. I was fortunate enough to be shown the vehicle collection which has not yet been opened to the public. They are kept in sheds in an ex-military barracks.

I could not believe the stuff they had there. When I saw the Marder III and the condition it was in, I immediately thought of The English Patient (yes, its in that movie for about 3 secs driving past in the background) and SPR. The guys showing me around told me that it is apparently the only one of its kind that is still mobile and has been used in movies (they didnt know the names though I assume it was in The English Patient and/or SPR).

They did let me take a photo of it and I can send it to you if you like, but the guys at the museum told me that they had been burnt before by someone taking photos of their unreleased collection and publishing them so I wont post it up.

There is a scene in the Ramelle battle where an opened topped SP gun moving down the street gets molotov cocktailed by US paras from an upper storey window. I have checked my photo taken of the Marder III at the museum with stills from the movie (SPR on DVD) and it IS definitely a REAL Marder III.

I am pretty sure that the Marder III used in the SPR movie IS the one at the de Henriquez museum.

It really is a rare collection they have. They also hold a SdKfz 7 Gun Tractor that is also operational and in excellent condition. If you are ever in Trietse, Italy, go to that museum!

Lt Bull

Guest highlife

Has anyone seen the trailer for a movie called "Captain ---'s Mandolin". I can't remember the name. It is apparently about an Italian officer in WW2 and there were two brief shots of a Hetzer! Nicholas Cage is the main character but it looked looked like a european made movie. It ran before a showing of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" which I recommend.