FIONN'S RULE OF 76

Guest Robert Hall

MikeE, the RD results cover games between players of all abilities. The new guy entering the ladder can challenge the guys at the top - and frequently does! The players in your group have probably got to know the abilities, styles and techniques of the others reasonably well so play is generally more "equal".

Certainly in the first 3 months of RD there were virtually no draws at all and in the last 3 months there have been more draws than in the whole of the previous 6 months. So players are probably getting much better overall making the games more evenly matched.

Robert

Originally posted by Moriarty:

The characterization was made that Fionn always plays the Germans and created the rule to allow him the Panther while denying the U.S. the Jackson's 90mm gun ... thereby weighting the game in his favor.

The assumptions of those statements are garbage. While I believe he does have a preference for the Germans, I know he has played the various Allied forces (with the possible exception of the Brits) and he wins more than he loses regardless of which side he takes. Is he invincible? No, of course not. But he is one of the better players.

Last I heard he hasn't been beaten for over 110 games in a row (actually, make that at least 111, he just recently kicked my butt). Has anybody beaten him of late or know what the current record is? I could ask him myself but he probably wouldn't answer the question for fear it may be considered bragging.

Regards

Jim R.

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

But where is the cotton pickin Fionn update being referred to above???????

I also would like to know, unless, it's all a lie. The Rugged Defense site still has the original posted, so it must be a hoax!

I don't know about hoax, more than likely he talked about it with someone, and as stories go it turned into some sort of update.

However, if Fionn has re-thought or reworked his previous rule or restriction guidelines where he believes they are improved, then it would BE AWFUL NICE OF THE FELLER to post them at Rugged Defense (with a date or version number).

Can someone pass the word to either Rugged Defense or Fionn.

Otherwise, I suppose all the suggestions and counter-suggestions just amount to what this person or that person see as a good idea. Which, is generally an "eye of the beholder" perspective.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 03-01-2001).]

Originally posted by Space Thing:

I also would like to know, unless, it's all a lie. The Rugged Defense site still has the original posted, so it must be a hoax!

Robert said it would be posted in the next few days. Give him a break, these guys are unpaid volunteers you know.

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Firefly:

Robert said it would be posted in the next few days. Give him a break, these guys are unpaid volunteers you know.

Cool yer jets Firefly. smile.gif I only posted what I posted as Bruno's legitimate question was being ignored. frown.gif I sent an email to Rugged Defense and didn't get a reply. So, either it was real or a hoax. This way, we now know it is real. Great, I'm happy to wait til it comes out. Thanks. smile.gif

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Oh, so it was your fault then Firefly for not telling anyone.

Look , Robert said both here and in the RD mailing list that he would post the new version of the rules on the RD pagein the next few days, in the meantime he gave us a summary of the changes. How that makes it my fault is beyond me. What is your problem with this?

Guest Robert Hall

The "official" update of Fionn's 'Panther-76 Rule' document is now available at Rugged Defense: www.rugged-defense.nl/cm/Fionn3.htm

One of Fionn's 3 'Rules' I have never seen discussed is his 'Recon Rule'.

To quote from my document on Rugged Defense:

"The 'Recon Rule' is aimed at offering a little spice to essentially Infantry-only games by allowing players to purchase reconnaissance vehicles in addition to infantry.

The 'Recon Rule' game allows vehicles, including light tanks, to be included but limited to those with maximum 50mm guns - this is simply so that the Germans can field Pumas since they have no cheap 37mm armed vehicles which can go toe to toe with the Allies otherwise - and up to a maximum calibre for artillery of 81mm.

HTs, mortar carriers and flamethrower vehicles are all allowed, but not flamethrower tanks since they would not be vulnerable to a 50mm gun.

60mm, 75mm and 81mm mortars and FOs are all allowed - 81mm being the maximum.

There is no limit to the size of towed guns permitted, so you can buy big AT and IG guns if you really want overkill!

The balance of infantry vs armour in his force is entirely up to each player."

Again, 'Recon Rule' is not for everybody, just like the 'Short-75' and 'Panther-76' "Rule", but it is another guideline option for players who would like a bit of variety in CM. It is also a lot of fun, especially for players who want to liven up a primarily infantry type of game.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert Hall (edited 03-01-2001).]

Vanir,

Find myself back at work and with a little time on my hands so I can hook up cruise the BTS forum...god America is a great country!

Anyway...I know that the AAR is lagging but Fionn and I have had our turn rate slow to a dribble. ISP problems and work getting in the way of fun mostly, but we are trying to speed it up. I posted to Fionn two days ago that if he had time stream posts to Yahoogroups he had time to post to me.

[right Fionn? waiting.... wink.gif ]

Long and short of it...we are at turn 26. I voluntarily withdrew my two 155VT spotters in round 10 after expending 6 rounds total. They were just too devastating to make this or mostly any game interesting. Fionn then promptly put a mortar shell on top of a 105 spotter, leaving me just a single spotter for any arty support OUCH! Fionn also put the touch on a M4(105)which is smoking nicely THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I of course could not let the Beast better me so I retaliated by immobilizing his PzIV(70) with a 60mm mortar shell...and yes, I did go out and buy a lottery ticket after that little piece of luck.

We both have had our moments but he is going down in a big way. He seems thin in most places and his center and right flanks are collapsing fast.

Cheers

Murray

Originally posted by Robert Hall:

The "official" update of Fionn's 'Panther-76 Rule' document is now available at Rugged Defense: www.rugged-defense.nl/cm/Fionn3.htm

Thanks Robert, for so quickly putting this together for the benefit of all CM players. cool.gif Hope this took your attention off of my Pz IV's in our little battle. They are nice pets and normally do not bite anyone unless you move too quick.

Guest Space Thing

My hat is off to lads at the Rugged-Defense web-site for giving us such a superb CM resource! Well done. We owe them a lot!

EXTRA, EXTRA-Special mention goes to out Robert Hall for his expeditious handling of the important Fionn 75/76 rules update during the recent "crisis".

The Rugged-Defense site is the only site brave/ smart enough to even have these rules posted, I believe. (I could be wrong though.) "Hint-hint." smile.gif

Thanks all. smile.gif