Help from CM Community with TCP/IP

Gents and ladies, if you could go take a look at the tcp/ip crash thread in the Combat Missions Tech Support section and add your two-cents it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps additional feeback would help MadMatt, Steve and crew solve the problem. I have to tell you, playing a 60 turn CMMC (Combat Mission Meta Campaign) Scenario PBEM for 40 turns was quite the challenge as tcp/ip crashed.

Looking forward to the normal support (duck and cover :P)

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: LeBlaque ]

• 2 weeks later...

A number of people have had problems with TCP/IP. Some of the threads suggest that there might be some commonality to the problem, but even they're not absolutes (people have been able to receive reinforcements and capture units without crashing a TCP/IP game).

BTS is busy working on CM2 (CMBB/CMB2B/CMBtB) right now, but I'm sure that they're not intending to ignore the problem. However we may have to wait quite awhile for a solution. When it comes time to review CM2's TCP/IP code maybe the problems can be duplicated consistently and then a patch made for CMBO (since it should be almost the same as CM2's). That's just a guess, but we may have to wait until CM2 is released before a TCP/IP patch can be made for CMBO.

They've been very good about answering. MadMatt indicated early last month in the Tech thread that this bug was being looked into and that we should stay tuned. Some of us are just asking for an update, not a miracle. As was pointed out, they'll need to address this for CM2 anyway; so you can do the repair now or you can do it later (unless they are changing the tcp/ip code in which case they don't need to do it at all).

BTS has promised to address all legit bugs and this is one of them. Once you start playing large games and operations with a human opponent like me, you will get frustrated when you cannot complete the game due to this henious bug. Why play if you can't complete a game? I didn't get a cable modem to play PBEM, I got it to play large games against human opponents. :mad: :(

I can't speak for BTS, but I believe that they will solve the TCP/IP problems, and they are not ignoring the problems of the customers. Yes it is a legitimate bug, but BTS can't address the problem as quickly as some people would like. Steve has said in the past that there will be no more patches to CMBO, however he may make an exception for the TCP/IP problem (my guess).

Madmatt is trying to consistently duplicate the problem. Once he can verify the circumstances that cause a TCP/IP session to crash he'll report those to Charles (who is the only person writing code for CM). Since Charles is busy coding up things for CM2 he probably won't get to the problem immediately. It may have to wait until some point in CM2's development where they're reviewing the TCP/IP code (for any of the possible changes that CM2 may force on it) and then a patch may get developed for CMBO. It might get released before or after CM2.

Yeah, but he had time to go on vacation. I guess the hell with us and our little stupid problems. :D Just kidding ofcourse. I am actually very sorry to hear about this as I had planned on using this now that I have DSL. Bummer! :mad: