Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

what annoys a New Zealander?

I am writing up a scenario briefing. I always do these "in character".

the conceit is a British General is addressing a New Zealand unit to send them into certain death.

He knows they are "colonials" but not enough to know they are New Zealanders or where that is.

So what sorts of things would he say that annoy New Zealanders (confusing them with Aussies and the like)?

Well,telling us we are nearly as good as british regulars(thats from WW1 just after Gallipoli).

Only problem with your scenario is that Gen.Freyberg, the NZ Commander,had a Charter saying that If he felt that orders from his British commanders weren't in the best interests of the Div. i.e could be slaughtered, he could refuse those orders and consult with the NZ Government.

Quote from The Oxford Companion To NZ Military History:

He used it in Aug 1940 to resist attempts to detatch a no. of elements of his Div. to support operations against the Italians in Cyrenica...

By late 1942 British commanders were becoming accustomed to the arrangement,and to Freyberg's responsibilities as a national commander.

During the Italian Campaign,some problems were experienced when Freyburg came under the command of US 5th Army commander Gen.Mark Clark at Cassino,who was less conscious of Freyberg's responsibilities to the NZ government

Hope this helps smile.gif

[ December 22, 2003, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Pinetree ]

okay I have New Zealanders in France, I hope that isn't a problem (history past the invention of the socket bayonet means nothing to me)

British Headquarters:

"Bit of a sticky wicket I'm afraid. The bridge at Gorhey is guarded by two fortresses, initial reports are that they are too strong to be taken out by any armor or artillery we have available. We may just have to delay until stronger forces can be brought forward."

"If I may suggest sir, we could send infantry to assault the place at night."

"Don't be mad, man. The forts are surrounded by open ground, then protected by mine fields and barbed wire. It would be a suicide mission."

"Yes sir, but we have some New Zealanders we could send."

"Colonials? Right, that sounds like just the thing."

Briefing of the New Zealanders:

"I'm sorry I haven't been able to meet with you before, but I've been hearing good things. Very good things. Reports are your colonials are almost as good as our regulars. I trust you are up to this mission.

We've got a situation, not much of a problem really, I'd send my men but I don't have any available right at the moment. Simple thing. Send some engineers up to a couple of hills at night, maybe a few mines, a few strings of barbed wire, take out a pillbox or two for us and the road is clear for our tanks in the morning.

Now I certainly don't want to send you New Zealanders against anything too tough for you to handle. So scout it out thoroughly and if you decide it is beyond your abilities, retreat by all means. I should have some British regulars that can take it out in a few days. Although I suppose that means the show won't be over by Christmas."

I only do fictional scenarios. I looked at a map of Italy and chose a town, then googled to find a river name in Italy.

I have submitted it under the name Forlorn Hope to the Scenario Depot. Hopefully it will be put up tomorrow.

I have changed the defenses somewhat so it will hopefully be more possible (but only slightly more possible).