All you ever wanted to know about IS-85/IS-1/IS-2

But were afraid to ask! :D

http://history.vif2.ru/is2_1.html

There's a comment hidden in there somewhere (or on a linked page) about a German AT rifle penetrating the front lower plate of an IS-2!

Also on a linked paeg are comments about the IS-2 vs various German tanks, noting that a major disadvantage for hte Tiger was it's slow traverse!! Kudos and brownie points to BTS!! :D

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Mike the bike ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

I once saw in some book that when Tiger Is first engaged IS-2s in April '44 that their one at advantage was their speed and manuverability smile.gif .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Looks like I'm gonna send my old Tiger IEs on fast flanking maneuvers on the IS-2s. I'm gonna sound like a Western Allied player for a while! I also heard that the IS-2s have the worst turret traverse and reload times. Is it true?

The IS-2's rate of fire is bad but God forbid you ever get hit with that 122mm cannon. Apparently, a hit from it can and did take turrets off German tanks. HE shells also did some extensive damage even if they didn't penetrate the hull. According to the Russian Battlefield that you site, the IS-2 had better armor protection and more or less the same AP ability as the Tiger 1 but was lighter and faster than the old Tiger. The cost was space for crew and low number of rounds. Germans did have much better optics as well making the Germans more likely to hit in a long range fight.

As for sending Tigers for fast moving flanking actions, the word fast doesn't really apply to a Tiger. It is slow as hell which limits it's usefulness in any exploitation or quick flanking manuever. If anything, the IS-2 would be better doing that than the Tiger. It would seem that the IS-2 and Tiger had more or less the same role as a heavy breakthrough tank, meant to crack the heavy defenses of any enemy line. I can't wait to pit both the IS-2 and the Tiger/King Tiger against one another. Should prove to be quite a different experience than using US or UK armor.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I can't wait to pit both the IS-2 and the Tiger/King Tiger against one another. Should prove to be quite a different experience than using US or UK armor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get total massacres either way. The first time they met in Poland a full battalion of KTs was nearly destroyed by a few IS2s and T-34/76s in an ambush. But then a KT happened upon 11 or so IS2s on a road and killed them all. Behind that was another 120 tanks refueling and rearming. He ended up with 39 kills for 39 shots. But thats kinda rare. I believe the commander was Karl Korner, who had over a 100 kills in April '45.

True. It comes down to skill and advantage (there are instances of IS-2s kicking the crap out of Tigers and King Tigers with little to no losses as well). Either way however, the IS-2 (as well as the T-34/85 and other tanks/SPGs) will be quite a challenge for German players and balance out the armored forces. While a good player can use regular Shermans and other Western Allied tanks to great effect with proper tactics, it is still nice to have actual weapon platforms that can stand toe-to-toe with the German cats and win. I wonder if this will relieve the so called uber-tank problem or only increase it.

[ 04-30-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]