Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Just an idea

This may not interest most or for that matter anybody but I thought I would share an idea that I think I came up with but somebody else could have done it also but I've never heard any one mention it before. Anyway, I was kind of getting tired of the same old battles so thought I'd try sometime different for a change and came up with the following. I will let the computer select the map but will dictate light snow as a requirement. I will then create a small group which will include a platoon of troops, one bazooka team, a machine gun or two, a half track and two tanks. I will then have the allow the AI to have a company of troops, several guns, several tanks and various half tracks or other mobile vehicles and place them wherever it chooses. I will then start the game with the intent of getting my outfit across the board and exit. To me this is a very exciting game and I do it very often as it is so exciting to try to avoid the enemy and get my poor small group to safety. Sometimes I make it sometimes I don't. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case someone else might not have thought of it. I guess I choose winter time as it seems lonely and fitting and it sets the mood. So like JasonC says - just for what it's worth.

Another special type of battle is taking a recon force, approaching a superior enemy's defensive positions and trying to prepare a 'report' which as accurately as possible descibes the number, composition and location of the enemy forces. Then try to get away alive with as much of your force intact as possible. You can then compare your notes with his actual setup.

An example of such a force might be a pair of armored cars with a few HTs and a crack platoon of infantry and an 81 mm spotter. Actually less than a whole platoon of infantry might be better, but then you're into scenarios design instead of a QB.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

there is the pursuit type scenario described in a different thread.

then there is the demolition type i made up, using friendly engineers, and enemy minefields in the same place as target bridges and buildings.(i think i made the only one so far)

there is the commando assault type where a smaller number of crack/elite troops attack a larger number of reg/green troops at a base at night.

there are the movie re-enactment ones:2 saving private ryan's, combat! by wild bill, dirty dozen, dr. strangelove etc

deanco did one with his hysterical scenarios where you had to get the mexican rebel leader into the tv station and braodcast to the world to get a popular uprising.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: russellmz ]

Michael emrys I have done it at night but mostly days as I find it a little difficult to see my unit at night. Old age maybe - no couldn't be that. :( I have however tried it in both light and heavy fog and it's really cool that way too. It feels so lonely and cold while you move along waiting for the unexpected to happen but hoping you'll get your men through ok. I really enjoy it. Anyway hope you enjoy it. Sorry Bad Dog I don't know what VLs means so can't answer you but as far as computer pick I pick my own and actually pick for the computer too but I suppose letting the computer pick it's own would be ok. WoW! CMplayer that sounds like great fun too. I never thought of doing that but I will try it tonight. It sounds really neat. Cool idea. The more I think about this the more idea's I'm coming up with. Maybe using green troops alone ( no vehicles ) to sneak up for the recon would be neat. Anyway it sounds interesting. Anybody else have any ideas along these lines?

Pascal DI Folco. I don't have any certain scenario's I just let the computer generate the map but I do prefer having large hills and heavy trees. I will also make roads so it's easier for the enemy to move around. As far as FTC rules I don't follow them 100% but do to some degree but afraid I must admit I resort to using my eyes in the sky planes once the fighting starts. :D