Any luck with flamethrowers?

Guest ckoharik

Originally posted by Warmaker:

Oh, and if you want a decoy, albeit expensive decoys, FT teams are the ticket!

Which brings up a question of mine. How do others prefer to bring their FTs within range once they are on the front line? Crawl? Supressive fire from other units?

I consider the two man FT teams to be wildly overpriced. But FT vehicles are another matter. Right now I'm in a PBEM where I've got several of the 251/16s, and my opponent had (until a turn or two ago) a Sherman Croc. The map has heavy woods, which means that the AFV engagement range is pretty short, which is what makes the FTs important. My basic approach on attack is to keep the 251/16s hidden behind the advancing infantry. The infantry flushes out the defenders, and settles into a firefight. Then I rush up the halftrack to smoke out the defenders, and my infantry polishes them off while they're running. It's worked well so far.

Suppressive fire, suppressive fire, suppressive fire! Did I say suppressive fire? For the 2-man FT teams (short ranges) and open topped FT-SPW's this is important. With their short ranges it may be extremely hazardous for the 2-man FT teams to close the distance without getting shot to pieces so suppressive fire from friendly units is paramount! Pin the target(s) then torch them!

Also, I agree that FT teams are overpriced. They're, how many points for the Germans? 44 at Reg. experience or something like that? Price them to maybe HMG cost then maybe.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Generally my FTs die and die well, thank you. They are lucky to even make it to the battle.

I only seem to be able to use them if I play with Heavy woods, otherwise they just die.

Jeff

------------------

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.