Fast CPU does make a difference in gameplay!

I recently upgraded to a 1.2 Ghz and a 64 MB Geforce 2 Platinum. Boy what a difference it makes in gameplay! Before I had a Celeron 433 with a 32 MB TNT2 and I was always kinda careless with my orders mainly because the game was getting so jerky on big maps that I really didn't take the time to plan effectively. Now with a smooth scrolling map and whatnot, I take the time to scroll around in View#4 and set up my moves and orders effectively.

***Bit of a spoiler below***

For example I just played the original scenario "Fear in the Fog" by Wild Bill IIRC. I played the Amis and I clobbered the Germans because I took the time to set up a hellava defense in the town and woods line along the road to the left of the town. In previous attempts at this scenario with my old computer, I usually got smoked. I believe the main difference is that since now that I can scroll easier, the game is easier to play.

So in conclusion, it really does make a difference with a faster computer. So for those that are still trying to play on a < 200 MHz system with a 4MB video card, do yourself a favor and get a faster computer. The difference will amaze you. I built this new system for just a little over $1000 USD. I used some parts out of my old machine, mainly the disk drives and my SBLive! soundcard.

Fear in the Fog was a good scenario, and I clobered the AI when I played it (Allied side), my most lopsided victory, 94 to 6 and the first time my infantry killed a tank with gamon bombs/ demo charges. Sweet smile.gif

I agree, a system that can scroll the map and shoot LOS's smoothly is essential and once you play on a good system, it's impossible to look back.

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I agree, a system that can scroll the map and shoot LOS's smoothly is essential and once you play on a good system, it's impossible to look back.

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, especially since I have mostly hi-res mods installed including all of my uniform mods, my frame-rates were pretty much suckin' with my last set-up. Now, I can load large map, increase the scaling to 4x and it still scrolls like a dream. Not to mention it calculates the turn like nothing flat.