Need expert help on CMBB Operations setups

I am designing an operation and am finding that the AI places the defenders out in the open in subsequent games. I have gone for a defensive game but don’t have foxholes as it is early in the War and the Russians belief is that attack is the best form of defence.

I am a bit worried that I have a complicated set-up in the first game with the Germans in one corner and the Russians in three different coloured sectors could be confusing the AI in later games. I also bought Russian troops before I put down these sectors and they appeared on the map in a long line close to the Germans rather than at the other side of the map.

Can anybody who really understands the CMBB Operation system tell me if I am doing something wrong or are the defending infantry out in the open a feature?

:confused:

Originally posted by Mark Gallear:

I am designing an operation and am finding that the AI places the defenders out in the open in subsequent games. I have gone for a defensive game but don’t have foxholes as it is early in the War and the Russians belief is that attack is the best form of defence.

I am a bit worried that I have a complicated set-up in the first game with the Germans in one corner and the Russians in three different coloured sectors could be confusing the AI in later games. I also bought Russian troops before I put down these sectors and they appeared on the map in a long line close to the Germans rather than at the other side of the map.

Can anybody who really understands the CMBB Operation system tell me if I am doing something wrong or are the defending infantry out in the open a feature?

:confused:

More info needed:

1.) AI Setup locked or free to place units?

2.) Stupid placements in the first or later battle of the op?

3.) Static, advance or assualt op?

Do a search. There is a recent thread "All baout operations" or something like that. Some questions there, but you could get ideas how to solve or better describe your problems.

Gruß

Joachim

[ November 24, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Joachim ]

Initial setup zones don't matter later on in an operation.

You cannot really control the AI deployment. The best you can do is to offer defendable locations, like a tree line, hilltop, rough on a ridge line, etc. You say that there is plenty of cover. Maybe you could put up a screenshot or explain what kind of terrain there is near the area where the AI likes to deploy.

Originally posted by Mark Gallear:

I had a look at the previous post series does not really explain why the AI is putting infantry out in the open when there is loads of cover.

Its an Attack game, Defenders are not dug in, its happening on games 2 onwards as I have setup the Russians in game 1! Although not tried a free setup.

Yeah, it does not explain that AI "bug". I suspect that those units in the open are moved back from their previous locations (probably in zones ahead of the main setup zone) and are fixed there as the AI is not allowed to move them.

Happens after they get outflanked (details in the other thread).

For testing reasons, I suggest you

1. play it with fixed setup,

2. outflank the defenders,

3. save the end of battle 1,

4. start battle 2,

5. mark where your setup area ends (e.g. putting units in the edges), mark holes in your setup area,

6. save battle 2.

7. Then surrender in both saves and look at the units.

If the same units that are forward in battle 1 are in the open in battle 2, we know where the problem is.

Repeat process with Computer free to place units.

If the problem does not happen when the Computer is free to place units, I suggest we mark this as a bug and hope for a patch. As BFC is rumored to do a patch regarding fortification points ("instant casualties"), there might be hope they fix this, too.

hth

Gruß

Joachim

I think Joachim has explained why it is happening. As the Germans advance past parts of russians formations safe across the river they are pushed back into an empty area - not always in cover.

I had it set to advance but have changed it to assault and am hoping this will reduce this program and make the game more like the real situation with Ruussian pockets being left behind by the armour to be mopped up by the following infantry.

Thanks Joachim and Sergi :D