What is a "Steiner"?

Steiner was the main character in "Cross of Iron" the novel and the 1977 (approx) Sam Peckenpaugh movie by the same name. The movie starred James Coburn as Seargent Steiner, James Mason as the commanding major (or colonel), Maximillian Schell as an evil lower commander, David Werner as Mason's staff officer, and a gorgeous actress (I am drawing a blank right now on her name and I will remeber her name as soon as I finish this post. Lol.) as Steiner's love interest. This was a great war movie and I am sure that this is way more information than anyone wanted to know. Lol.

Oh goodness, this is not the Steiner about you were asking. Aw, too bad. You get this minute trivia anyway.

Cheers, Richard redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Richard Cuccia wrote:

and a gorgeous actress (I am drawing a blank right now on her name and I will remeber her name as soon as I finish this post. Lol.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Senta Berger, according to my DVD. That part of the film seemed a bit token to me – I don't remember what it was like in the book.

I'm reading Sajers book right now. I don't think a "steiner" existed, and no "geschnauz" as well. The more I'm reading the more I think that Sajer's whole book is fiction. The German words are simply not right, including many of the names. I have a very strange feeling about this being a "memoir".

First of all, regarding the authenticity (or not) of Sajer's works, go see this site made by board member RMC which discusses it in depth:

http://www.custermen.net/sajer/sajer1.htm

Second, the only thing I can think of which is remotely anywhere near what you are looking for might be the austrian vehicle manufacturer "Steyr", which produced all sorts of vehicles including cars and trucks.

Seeing how Sajer got a lot of things wrong he might as well have confused the spelling of Steyr with Steiner.

Steyr IIRC was also a producer of the RSO, the Raupenschlepper Ost, a vehicle very similar to the M28/M29 Weasel thingie which the BTS guys are driving around. I.e., it was a very small tracked transport vehicle designed for the rugged and snowy terrain of the east.

Obviously anybody could mount a machine gun or similar onto it; there was also a dedicated AT version which had a 7.5cm AT gun mounted onto the vehicle, which eventually showed as being a bit too much of a burden for the RSO.

Steiner isn't a man... he's a MYTH.

Mention of Steiner forces me to dredge up my Cross of Iron lists...

Things I’ve learned from watching "Cross of Iron":

"He said YES… didn’t he, Kepler… he said YES! Didn’t he, Kepler?!?

It is quite amusing to be called an "ehr-row-ik orr-ses aah-sss."

A German officer can have quite a swinging time, especially if he is stationed in the south of France.

Russian soldiers under the age of twelve tend to look alike.

Germans have the ability to tear through a salad bar, just like they tore through Poland and France.

Private Deitz must not have been able to avoid the sunlight.

Never, ever, attempt to sodomize a Russian.

Steiner isn’t a man… he’s a MYTH.

The most battle-hardened German can be brought to a dead standstill with a big, juicy kiss.

German moustaches are a bad idea.

A favorite tactic of saboteurs was to sneak into German banquets and spike the punch bowl with Acid.

Russians are good on the attack, but don’t hire them to guard anything important.

"Demarcation" is a poor choice for a password.

Germans can handle all sorts of difficult fighting, but they get a bit weirded out watching their officers take a leak.

Dirt, combined with natural body oils, renders you waterproof. And stinky.

All that you are now, and all that you may become, is entirely dependent on this present company.

The Eastern Front is more enjoyable than a naughty German nurse.

And finally…

Need to know where the Iron Crosses grow? Ask Steiner.

More things I’ve learned from watching "Cross of Iron":

German regiments were often supported by a company of Kinderzingers, who would inspire the troops with their haunting melodies.

Always look both ways before crossing the street.

German soliders tend to get killed in slow motion.

The cure for concussion? A bottle of vodka and a good schtup!

After the war, Col. Brandt emigrated to the United States, changed his name, and developed a fondness for underage girls.

Shiny, new leather coats don’t stand a chance on the Eastern Front. Gnarly knit caps, however, last forever.

By the end of the campaign, Capt. Treblig had better ventilation than most T-34s.

You can always find the cutest girls in the hottub.

Photos of war atrocities are a good source of cheap entertainment.

The Russians can spot cheap footwear a mile away.

And finally…

The German policy of "don’t ask, don’t tell" didn’t work too well, either.

-Joshik

Joshik,

You did watch 'Cross Of Iron' carefully. Really, really, cool. However, you did miss the two best lines in all of moviedom.

"This is not a brothel. This is a var"(yeah, you have to say 'var'.)

And the best line of all time: "I'm attacking. I'm defending. I'm counterattacking."

It is really nice to find someone else who is peculiarly weird.

Richard tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif :cool: :eek: