60m Fausts not fired on broadside Sherman when ordered to do so!

Originally posted by Mark IV:

I imagine under 20m the force of the explosion and resulting particles would be of some concern to the shooter.

If there was a live tank less than 20 meters from me, I'd be scared to death of it and not very concerned about possible schrapnel if I had something that might do me some good before that 12.7mm MG chews me into dogfood.

OTOH there's been some brouhaha here when a reservist got killed by a 30mm grenade gun schrapnel. Target was some 200 meters away but the gunner managed to hit a tree stump 15 meters away. End of story and confirms the "**** happens" principle.

I've personally been reprimanded by a sergeant for killing myself + my pair with a LAW. It's easy to forget that the tube is 10-20cm lower than your sight, so even when you can see the target, the rocket might not.

Hey I had a panzerschreck team and a bazooka

team duking it out against eachother....

Actually an American MMG team caused one

causualty to the schreck team and the

'zook team was taken out by a rifle team

both the Schreck and the zooks emptied their

ammo at eachother....

Just to add another to the faust stories, one elite SS Mot squad, sitting in woods with a IMMOBILE Stuar sitting 25 meters away from them.

What does the Elite squad do? Nozzink. They just sit there while the Stuart blows them to pieces. Oh yes, to do them credit, they were throwing sticks at the Stuart.

All this while they had TWO pf-60s.

So the next turn I get angry and order the squad to fastmove to the stuart. So they start to run, and WHILE RUNNING they launch the faust, killing the Stuart. Range was about 10 meters by then.

Oh well. Conclusion: CM does not model the dangers of fausts to the users. There must be a much simpler algorithm that determines whether fausts get shot or not.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Sorry, but I gotta disgaree. I don't think CM models fear of what might happen.

That's a question of intent, of the programmer. Fear could easily be modeled in CM, by assigning a "% not to fire." That can represent fear.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Originally posted by Tiger:

Panzerfausts are broken. If you had instead ran your men to within 10-15m of the shermans they would have fired instantly within this short range.

Of course with the quick-spotting buttoned tanks in CMBO your men would likely have been cut up by the tanks. Whether intentionally broken like this by BTS is not clear. In the demo troops (regs) with PFs would fire them if something came within range, even though they weren't very accurate. If the pf30/60/100 have a combat range of 30/60/100, the troops should fire out to that range if you order them to do so, even with reduced accuracy. I'd rather them be modelled realistically than have to run up to the "now I can fire" 10-15 meter range.

Instruction booklet for the Panzerfaust 60m :

pfbooklet.jpg

Die Panzerfaust ist Deine Pak! Du kannst mit ihr jeden Panzer bis auf Entfernungen von 80 m abschießen. Lies Dir Merkblatt richtig durch, dann kann Dir, wenn es darauf ankommt, nichts passieren.

And now a picture of the warhead and sites for a Panzerfaust 60m:

pf60sites.jpg

Note the # above "60" marked on the sites. There's also one other noteworthy feature about the sites. Can anyone figue it out? Note that the opening for the "60" range is much larger than that for the "80" range and the "20" range. I argue that range of 60 is the most effective range for this weapon, hence the weapon model designations denote the most effective range, not the maximum range. The instruction booklet for the PF 100m notes 150m, and the sites go up to 150m as well. Kind of brings into question this non-sense that the range of these weapons was 3/4 of the weapon model's designation of 30/60/100.

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 03-23-2001).]

Tiger,

Awesome. Good catch!

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!