Any way CM2 could support Applescript?

Just curious if BTS had thought about adding any scripting capabilities to Combat Mission. This would really help out with creating tools to help automating the opening, playing and renaming of pbem files as well as possibly creating an app to play movies back to back automatically.

Also curious about BTS take on OS X. If CM plays in compatability mode inside OS 9.1 I'd guess you'd leave the program as is until the 3rd combat mission when you rewrite the engine.

Any comments???

Thanks for the great game.

Scott Karch

The OS X question is what concerns me. Maybe not so much concern, but, with OS X looming. I am excited about OS X and its stability and sweet UI. But I most likely will not switch to OS X for a while. At least until there are lots of apps for it. I just hope that CM2 and CM1 will run on OS X. I anticepate running CM on OS X under OS 9 emulation and I am hoping to run CM2 on OS X (carbon I believe it is). Also another point to mention is I am not sure what rave (the 3d api) will become of on OS X. I hope BTS is considering OpenGL for its future 3d api choice for OS X. I think Apple made OpenGL a serious part of OS X therefore OS X will run OpenGL based games quite well.

Just some thoughts.

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 02-24-2001).]

Originally posted by Freak:

The OS X question is what concerns me. Maybe not so much concern, but, with OS X looming. I am excited about OS X and its stability and sweet UI. But I most likely will not switch to OS X for a while. At least until there are lots of apps for it. I just hope that CM2 and CM1 will run on OS X. I anticepate running CM on OS X under OS 9 emulation and I am hoping to run CM2 on OS X (carbon I believe it is). Also another point to mention is I am not sure what rave (the 3d api) will become of on OS X. I hope BTS is considering OpenGL for its future 3d api choice for OS X. I think Apple made OpenGL a serious part of OS X therefore OS X will run OpenGL based games quite well.

hmm. please note

- carbon is definitely -not- The Growth Path for mac os x. cocoa is the future. especially given the work needed to port from mac os to carbon, IMHO going straight to cocoa makes more sense

- opengl runs notably faster on mac os x than on 9, so yes, opengl's a big deal for mac os x

- using codewarrior to port between x and windows is decidedly nontrivial right now. unfortunately, there are no alternatives yet - writing for mac os x means codewarrior or projectbuilder (PB), but PB's mac os x only

so like i mentioned when mac os x public beta came out, i hope BTS concentrates on CM2 proper, not porting to mac os x. of course, i'm assuming CM2 ships within a year. if it's much later then cross-platform development with x as one of the targets should be easier by then

Originally posted by karch:

Just curious if BTS had thought about adding any scripting capabilities to Combat Mission. This would really help out with creating tools to help automating the opening, playing and renaming of pbem files as well as possibly creating an app to play movies back to back automatically.

sounds more like you want PBEM to be easier and some way to stitch movies together, not scripting per se