Incredible 3D armor models

Those Japanese Tiger I images

were pretty good. The artist has some great attention to detail. How would you

like to see images of that quality in a 3D model? Can't be done? Yes it can! A

man named Gary J. Nemeth has been doing it for quite some time. He is a very

talented 3D artist that creates trains, airplanes and some superb military

weapons. I have seen his Pzkw III, IV, V, and VI and well as a KV-I, T-34, and a

very impressive MG-34. His webpage has been restructured, at one time there were

even more 3D images in the "art" section featuring WWII vehicles. </p>

Big Time Software should take notice of what kind of work this gentleman is

capable of. CM3 or CM4...</p>

To see some of his work check out the information on the <a href="http://www.warfarehq.com" target="_blank">Warfare

HQ</a> Combat Mission forum under the title "Good graphics? You ain't

seen nothin yet!" Trust me, these images are worth everyone's time to

look at. Very impressive.</p> :D

<font face="Copperplate Gothic Bold">Don "Panzertruppen" Maddox

Warfare HQ General Editor</font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzertruppen maddox:

[...]Big Time Software should take notice of what kind of work this gentleman is

capable of. CM3 or CM4...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beautiful it is. As for CM, notice that the first page shows the mesh he is using for the front portion of the track/bogey assembly.

More polygons just in this area than in an entire battalion-level CM game.

So, if you have an hour or so for each second of combat to render, great. Otherwise, we have to deal with a more cm-like model.

If you want to be really impressed, check out the FW-190 he has done.

http://www2.cc22.ne.jp/~harada/fw_190/fwindex.html

It looks like he has built the thing piece by piece, it must have taken weeks. Aaron is very correct though, Id say the Tiger has more pollies in it as you see on the screen in CM at any one time. smile.gif

Dan

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

Ay Carumba! That's a computer model? Colour me impressed and looking forward to the future.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As somebody who is not easily impressed, I have to say, "I'm impressed!"

That is one well done piece o' work...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aaronb:

o, if you have an hour or so for each second of combat to render, great. Otherwise, we have to deal with a more cm-like model.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To produce the rendering effect shown you have to use a ray tracing algorithm.

If the model is constructed using solid constructive geometry there will have to be one calculation for each pixel and one for each primative. (In CSG modeling the object is constructed from primative polygons)

Each track link alone on that tank will have maybe 10 primatives and there are hundreds of track links, if we guess at 3000 primatives in total and four interesction each we have 36000*1024*800 calcuations.

On a 1 GHz chips that will take 200 seconds or 3 minutes 20 seconds.

It will be some time before you see grahix like that, you may get stuff that looks similar but it won't be as perfect as ray tracing, shadows are simply emphirically programed to appear.

True, we won't see those graphics for some time to come. But, we will see them! Look at how much PC graphics have improved in the last 10 years (a very short period of time). Hmmmm, what did they look like in 1991? Crap, crap and double crap!

It won't be as long as you think gentlemen. The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: Panzertruppen maddox ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzertruppen maddox:

True, we won't see those graphics for some time to come. But, we will see them! Look at how much PC graphics have improved in the last 10 years (a very short period of time). Hmmmm, what did they look like in 1991? Crap, crap and double crap!

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: Panzertruppen maddox ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually if you define PC graphixs as that of computer games you would be right, however CAD systems have had powerfull shading algorithms for many years. My Cad text book has a fully rendered drawing of a 35 tonne snow truck. The problem was computer speed, that image probably took hours to render.

However games may render things much faster because they simply use polygons, and don't have to worry about all the other sides of the vaious primatives, because they don't need to be easily modified.