Difference between CM on Italian front and CMBO

That is something that I cannot understand till now.

When BTS move to Africa and South Europe TO with the new engine, what could be the difference that prevent to share all the TO&E and terrain with the ETO? (I understand and agreed if it's a matter of business, sell two games instead one, but the same income could be get with a more expensive CD, and in any case I doubt that BTS could stop the ingenuity of gamers) And BTW what prevent to do that now, and design scenarios in Gela, Cassino or Ortona?

Italian campaign lasted from july 43 to april 45, so it's longer than France and Germain campaign, was fought by the same nation, Usa also with Rangers, British, Commonwealth, Canadian but also Aussie, Kiwi, Indian, Gurkha,) Poland, free French. Germans has Wermacht, SS, Fallschirmjager and Luftwaffe division. Terrain was hill, mountain, plains, river, mud, sun and snow, cities and hamlet there are landing, paradrops, naval guns. The same equipments of France 44 ( Ok not the last giants like KingTiger and Pershing)

So I think that the logical division would be between ETO and RTO, may be PTO if BTS would change the anti Pacific bias. If that is correct I've no fear to found CMBO obsolete after the release of East FrontCM. Just wait for the Italian TO then it's only job for modders and scenario designers.

Massimo

For one thing, during the entire time they were developing CM (they were at it full-time I believe), they didn't have a significant income. No profits until CM was released, so if they'd spent longer putting more features in, they'd have been reduced to eating half-priced ramen and driving economical foreign-made cars. Also, putting an extra year's worth of equipment for each side would likely have been too much to do and still get the game out in a reasonable amount of time (the same rationale Steve's given for not including the 39-40 Winter War in CM2). CM2 will cover a longer time period and much more equipment than CM1 did, but remember they've doubled their staff and much of the work has been done already in CM's code and the subsequent patches.

Auguri, Massimo-

For one thing, I'd assume that the extensive rough terrain typical of Italy and parts of North Africa would take some tweaking of the current engine. As it is now, CMBO models rough terrain very sparsely, with one specific tile and a relatively gentle slope capability. Perhaps BTS will polish this up with a greater variety of rough terrain types and elevation rule modifications.

I for one would like to see the more constricted streets of Italian towns and villages better replicated. CMBO models town streets basically as broad, straight expanses, nothing at all like Bella Italia outside of a few big cities that didn't see too much street fighting anyway.

I'd also like to see the Italian CM better model stone walls, bomb craters and gullies, all of which were in abbondanza in Italy.

Incidentally, ciao Massimo! I'm from Trieste, where are you from?