Tech question: NVIDIA Drivers.

Sten

I just downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers, Detonator 3. I have a NVIDIA Riva TNT2 m64, 32 gig, card and before the download I had no problems running CM at all.

But after I installed the drivers my mouse is flickering. It flickers in CM and it flickers even if I have no programs open but Active Desktop running. If I turn Active Desktop off, then it runs smoothly on the desktop.

Can anyone please help me get my mouse pointer back to the flicker-free state it was in before? I'd like to keep the new drivers, as they help up some other games, but CM is the most important one, so if this can be solved without reverting back to my old drivers I'd be very grateful.

Sten

What version did you download ? To be honest the Detonator 3 series isn't the best set of drivers for the TNT2 series of chips. If you're running the 7.17 drivers, then I would suggest going back to a 6.xx series driver like 6.50 if you want the latest that's stable.

What mouse driver are you using ? Is it a "generic PS/2" or something of that nature or are you using a brand-name driver like Logitech or MS Intellipoint driver ? Updating these may help. If you're using the latest driver or a generic one that comes with Windows, then you're best bet may be to go back to the previous set of drivers.

Originally posted by Sten:

I just downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers, Detonator 3. I have a NVIDIA Riva TNT2 m64, 32 gig, card and before the download I had no problems running CM at all.

But after I installed the drivers my mouse is flickering. It flickers in CM and it flickers even if I have no programs open but Active Desktop running. If I turn Active Desktop off, then it runs smoothly on the desktop.

Can anyone please help me get my mouse pointer back to the flicker-free state it was in before? I'd like to keep the new drivers, as they help up some other games, but CM is the most important one, so if this can be solved without reverting back to my old drivers I'd be very grateful.

Sten

Well... don't run the active desktop. It's a cycle hog anyway. You might look up some commentary at places like sharkeyextreme or 3dchipset for that driver iteration, it might perform a little lower than the previous driver you were using for the sake of stability, or something. Don't know what version you have, but I had nothing but problems with the 6.50 drivers on my GeForce DDR and reverted back to the 6.48 drivers where eveything works well.

Guest sitzkrieg

I did notice some performance loss with 6.48 and 6.50. I went back to 6.31, then tried 6.72 as a test and it works fine as well. I had a link to a site that had all the Nvidia drivers up to 7.17 but it is down or doesn't exist any longer. Let me know if you would like me to email you the 6.72 drivers.