Tactics Question.....

Guest Babra

Depends how many trees there are. If there's just a few pockets of trees here and there which look like the ideal place to set up -- don't. That's the mistake I always make and I pay for it dearly every time.

If the map is basically a forest, one place is as good as the next.

Artillery is IMHO almost an unavoidable event when on the defense. All you can really do to limit it is to keep you infantry out of direct LOS from long range. Use cover and terrain elevation to conceal you positions so that your opponent has to close and manuver to bring to bear artillery or any other DF.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

If there's just a few pockets of trees here and there which look like the ideal place to set up -- don't.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's my opinion too... Trees are a double-edged cover. They hide your troops, and so are an 'usual' target for artillery strikes. And if the forest happens to get on fire, your troopers are doomed to burn or to get out of their foxholes...

My advice would be to get your foxholes sufficiently spaced. If you want to hide them, do this individually in **small** trees or scattered trees tiles. Not in "THE big forest that WILL be hit".

This way, the massive artillery strike won't hurt all of your troops, all the turns...

Trust me : i *never* lost a PBEM. :D

--

Cafard, that has never played a PBEM... tongue.gif

* Split your squads on the Set Up.(that doubles your foxholes-positions).

* Disperse those foxholes (be cautious, since I have observed a full squad doesn´t occupy a four men-foxhole -or is reluctant to do so directly-). Put part of the positions in woods, and the rest outside, in rear defiladed places non-observable from your front-wooded-foxholes (You musn´t give anything to the enemy!).

* From the front positions watch your enemy advance. When he bombards you, disperse. And when you detects he´s going to close -and correct his barrage-, concentrate your squads

to give him a blooded nose.

* Depending on the outcome, resist or squad-alternately give up terrain and go to your second line.

Regards.