What happened to the infantry guns?

Hey! The board's back. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeyD:

In the listings for the Airborne is the M3(?) 105mm Pack Howitzer, which is depicted as a straight 105mm howitzer but was in fact more of a super-75mm Pack Howitzer with a cut-down 105mm barrel and standard 105mm gun breech. So a heavy U.S. infantry howitzer's in the game, it just LOOKS like a standard 105.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. BTS used the same model for both guns. And they even used it for the 25pdr too. But the guns definitely have different characteristics. Pic of the three in-game:

105 M2A1 How, M3 Pack 105, 25pdr

All 3 guns just got done firing their first shot at a target 3000m away. The M3 Pack 105 is in the middle. Notice how much more elevated it's barrel is (lower muzzle velocity). And the barrel of the 105 How (on the left) is even slightly more elevated than the 25pdr on the right.

The guns also turn at different rates. The Pack 105 and 25pdr take 1:12 to turn 180 degrees. While the 105 How takes 1:59 to turn around. And the 25pdr has a higher ROF than the other two guns.

Mattias, go to the Jagdtiger page, click on the German Vehicles section, and then under Artillery, click the link for the sIG33. I'd provide a direct link, but the BBS doesn't allow parenthesis in URLs. :(

The Stielgranate 42 is a 197lb muzzle-loaded stick bomb. The German Handbook says its was introduced very late in the war and was used to clear minefields and barbed wire. Bishop's encyclopedia says it was used against strong points like blockhouses, but had to get in close to fire (very short range).

- Chris

[ 09-14-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfe:

[QB]

The Stielgranate 42 is a 197lb muzzle-loaded stick bomb. The German Handbook says its was introduced very late in the war and was used to clear minefields and barbed wire. Bishop's encyclopedia says it was used against strong points like blockhouses, but had to get in close to fire (very short range).

[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

Interesting my first thought upon seeing it was that it would serve the same purpose as it's smaller brother, the Stielgranate 41, which was introduced to enable 37 Pak guns to fire hollow charge rounds.

But considering the respectable effectiveness of the standard 15 cm HC rounds I can see that the Stielgranate 42 would be a bit of an overkill.

Instead the AVRE 290mm spigot mortar would seem a closer comparison as far as the mission goes.

M.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattias:

Interesting my first thought upon seeing it was that it would serve the same purpose as it's smaller brother, the Stielgranate 41, which was introduced to enable 37 Pak guns to fire hollow charge rounds.

But considering the respectable effectiveness of the standard 15 cm HC rounds I can see that the Stielgranate 42 would be a bit of an overkill.

Instead the AVRE 290mm spigot mortar would seem a closer comparison as far as the mission goes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. Apparently so. See:

15cm sIG

Also, a pic of the Stielgranate 41:

German Militaria

- Chris