is sixty seconds untouchable?

maybe I've missed this discussion, but I have never seen any post question the 60 seconds of "real" combat. 60 seconds is fine but what about a "slider" so that a player, at the beginning of a game, could choose to set say 75 seconds or 90 seconds etc. in 15 second increments up to maybe 2 minutes of real time combat? The only objection I can think of is that a simple mistake against a skilled opponent would be enough to possibly crush you given that so much more can happen in 2 minutes vs. 60 seconds. But it can be argued that the tention would be much greater knowing that you could be destroyed with little hope of recovery if you don't plan each turn with meticulous detail. Too late for CMBO. I wonder if BTS would or could easily code this player adjustable time feature in CMBB?

There were some posts about this in the past. As far as I'm aware it is not an easy task to change the 60 seconds for a turn. Too many things within CM depend on the turn lasting 60 seconds. So I don't believe you will be seeing a variable turn length slider anytime soon. It may be considered for the engine rewrite, CMII, but I'm not sure if BTS considers this worth the possible time to code.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

bump. And why do all delays have the same amount of seconds per morale class? 13 seconds to start to move a vehicle, why not some 10 seconds and others 14?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, then you're destroying the purpose of having skill classes?

If you notice, the delay times change depending on if the unit is in HQ contact range or if is has been "disrupted".

The sixty second turn has been discussed. I myself once made the suggestion long ago that the simulation as a whole would be more realistic with five minute turns. My reason is that that would more accurately represent the time it takes for a command element to absorb information, formulate a response, and communicate it to its subordinate elements in the WW II era.

However, the game engine is now written and to change the turn length would doubtlessly entail a considerable amount of work. Putting in a variable length turn is right out I should think for a goodly number of reasons.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well, then you're destroying the purpose of having skill classes?

If you notice, the delay times change depending on if the unit is in HQ contact range or if is has been "disrupted".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've thought about this a little too, and agree with Napoleon - Let's throw in a little randomness to the movement delays. How accurate is it for all nine squads of a company (assuming they are all regulars) to "move out" at exactly the same time? I wouldn't mind seeing a range of delay for each experience level. I think it would add a level of excitement to the game - I can just see myself screaming at my electronic men who are taking their time getting up... "I told you to move-out - now MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT!!!" (Conjures up memories of a certain TV marine sergeant motivating his young private!)

Remember that playability plays a large role in the decision that BTS made for the 60 second turn. 5 minutes may be more realistic (maybe) but it is a lot less enjoyable for the average player and induces a lot of sit around time. The goal is to mesh the player input and balance it with the TacAI. 60 Seconds seems at this point to be the magic number. Just what I think and what I have read from BTS in previous posts.

You're probably right, Priest, at least as far as player enjoyment is concerned. The five minute turn would probably work better in a game where the playback is not at a 1:1 ratio of gametime to realtime but is speeded up a bit. On the other hand, you get the occasional gamer like me who usually examines and reëxamines each turn for half an hour anyway. smile.gif

Michael

Dont forget the CPU strain! Anything over 60 seconds (according to BTS) would cause problems for the computer to process effectively. Too much calculations. Result? Very slow battle resolution time and possible freeze ups for mid range machines. I like it the way it is. I always picture 60 seconds as the time it takes for a few radio messages to get back and forth between the commander(s) and their subordinates.

As far as randomizing the delays...well, I can agree with that to a point. I mean, a 1-2 sec difference. However, whats the point of coding then? If youre talking more then 2 secs, I have to oppose that quite strongly. If I have an Elite platoon which I plan to send into an assault, and I planned my mortar barrage to end when the assaulters reach the target (so the enemy is suppressed) I dont want them to delay for 6 seconds and walk into a wall of fire. Thats why we have different classes. So we can come to expect certain things out of them. I for one, expect my better troops to act and respond that way, not randomly sit on their asses for longer then they should be.

There are no plans what so ever to do anything other than 60 second turns. It would require re-writing the game from the ground up as just about EVERYTHING in there is based on 60 seconds/turn worth of resolution.

Charles was asked about this before and he just began to drool on himself, wrapped his arms around his body and shook while mumbling something that sounded like "sixty seconds...Must be sixty seconds...Code only happy with sixty seconds...no two minutes...only sixty seconds...Sixty seconds make Charlie happy..."

Um...it wasnt pretty to watch... :(

Madmatt

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]