Commandos?

I was advancing one of my sharpshooters through a woods in an QB last night, when I came upon an enemy artillery spotter only 20 or so metres away. I didn't want to try to take him out with the sharpshooter at that close range, so I thought "gee, I really wish I had some commandos right about now."

I'm sure commandos (as in small groups that go behind enemy lines for special purposes / missions) were fairly uncommon during WWII, and I guess that's why they haven't been inlcluded in CM. But if done properly, I think the "fun factor" could outweigh their historical rarity. This is how I picture they would work:

A "commando squad" could consist of 4 to 6 men. They would be somewhat like an "ordinary" squad, but one that's not dependent on a platoon HQ, kind of like sharpshooters. They would have poor firepower but would be hard to spot. They could possibly carry satchel charges like engineers, to blow up tanks.

The way I see it, commandos would have the same purpose as sharpshooters - taking out key enemy units like HQs and mortars - but would go about it differently. Instead of picking the targets off from a distance, they assault it. That would make them preferable over sharpshooters on maps with short visibility, lots of woods, etc.

I think commandos would be a lot of fun. Sneak through the woods, assault enemy HQs, mortars, bazookas, machine guns, POW guards, etc.

This is probably not very historically accurate, but if commandos were equipped with a radio, they could radio target coordinates to a platoon HQ which directs mortars within its command to fire at those coordinates.

Comments?

-Enfors-

Guest Germanboy

Elite UK glider squads (7 guys, should have Gammon bombs) should do the trick, apart from the fact that they need a platoon HQ on paper (not really, being Elite) Buy an elite mortar spotter, and with relative spotting you can use them for OP duty. Actually, when I get back to the UK I shall try and build a scenario around that idea, now that I think of it...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Skorzey mission pack? I'll be sure to check it out, thanks. Sounds like great fun.

Elite UK glider squads, huh? I guess that's better than nothing, but I still want specialized commandos that don't depend on a HQ unit. smile.gif Any official word from BTS (or somebody else who knows) whether they aren't included, or if they will be in the future?

-Enfors-

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enfors:

Skorzey mission pack? I'll be sure to check it out, thanks. Sounds like great fun.

Elite UK glider squads, huh? I guess that's better than nothing, but I still want specialized commandos that don't depend on a HQ unit. smile.gif Any official word from BTS (or somebody else who knows) whether they aren't included, or if they will be in the future?

-Enfors-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest, I would say your chances are Buckleys & none. I have not read of any front line firefight where Commando squads ran around "blowing up" tanks that were engaged in the fight at the time, nor killing enemy HQ's or FO's so close to where the action was. If there were instances of this then I stand corrected but if not, BTS prides itself on portraying realistic battles, not fanciful ones. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Regards

Jim R.

Commandos and their US counterpart, the Rangers, were not used in their special roles very often. IIRC after Normandy both simply saw action as regular infantry. Again IIRC both also used the same TO&E as regular infantry.

As Germanboy said, elite units can be for sneaky-sneaky type stuff.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Of course, units in CM are always on a combat footing, which means they will fire on the enemy, rather than keeping still as a German sentry unwittingly stomps on their toes in the darkness.

Now, when can we have a Dirty Dozen squad – poorly trained and inexperienced, but capable of taking on a Company of enemy infantry without injury (only to suddenly be wiped out at a cinematically appropriate juncture)?

Enfors,

Commando actions are possible in CM, but it's difficult to do it on an intimate, man to man basis.

My Commando Skorzeny missions (thanx for the nod, 420) focus on a platoon level commando unit. They commonly function in enviroments where they are outnumbered by at least 3:1 and usually more.

This number of elite troopers CAN be snuck about with relative ease, once your comfortable with their use. They seldom operate in LOS friendly weather. And they can and do hold their water while hiding and in command of an HQ unit.

If your interested, I can e-mail you the zip file containing all five Skorzeny scenarios.

They can also be found at: http://combatmissions.co.uk/scenarios.htm

Or CHMQ:Scenario Depot, although I think it's currently down (thanx TGN).

Clubfoot.