AI Mortar Range -- Unfair?

I tried doing a search for this topic, so if this has already been covered, I'm sorry to have brought it up.

It seems to me that the AI doesn't play by the same rules regarding the minimum range a mortar can fire at a vehicle. Today I had a Brit 2" mortar fire at me from 13m away.

I have noticed this problem in all of the versions of the game I have played (1.03 through 1.1b24) -- it seems like the rules get bent only for the AI, as I have never noticed this playing PBEM or TCP/IP. The AI seems to be able to ignore the minimum range, while I am forced to abide by the rules.

If this is in fact the case for the AI, are there any other rules that the AI gets to bend?

AFAIK this isn't an exception just for the AI -- I'm pretty sure that a human player can also fire the 2" mortar at targets within its minimum range. I know there was a thread on this subject a few months back.

IIRC, you can't drag a targetting line within the minimum range during the orders phase, and neither can the AI. But the TacAI (which fights for both you and the computer) apparently can fire within the minimum range, with the 2" mortar at least. I might be misremembering this, though, it's hazy in my mind. A search would, of course, tell you. wink.gif

[After reading the above: Or, maybe there isn't a minimum range on the 2". I told you my memory was hazy on this.]

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

[This message has been edited by L.Tankersley (edited 01-04-2001).]